Eunice Kennedy Shriver dies at 88August 12th, 2009 - 7:01 pm ICT by IBNS
Aug 12 (IBNS) President John F Kennedy ’s sister Eunice Kennedy Shriver, who carried on the family’s public service tradition by founding the Special Olympics and championing the rights of the mentally disabled, passed away Tuesday morning. She was 88.
Shriver, the mother of Maria Shriver, advocated tirelessly for the mentally disabled. Her contributions to the disability rights movement have been called the greatest Kennedy legacy.
Born Eunice Mary Kennedy in Brookline, Massachusetts, she was the fifth of nine children of Joseph P. Kennedy, Sr. and Rose Kennedy (née Fitzgerald).
She was educated at the Convent of the Sacred Heart, Roehampton, London, England; and Manhattanville College in Purchase, New York, and attended Stanford University in Palo Alto, California, graduating in 1943 with a Bachelor of Science degree in sociology; after which she went to work for the United States Department of State in the Special War Problems division.
In 1950, she became a social worker at the then-named Federal Industrial Institution for Women in Alderson, West Virginia, and the following year she moved to Chicago, Illinois, to work with the House of the Good Shepherd and the Chicago Juvenile Court.
On May 23, 1953, she married Robert Sargent Shriver, Jr. in a Roman Catholic ceremony at St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York City, New York.
Her husband served as the U.S. Ambassador to France from 1968 to 1970 and was the Democratic U.S. Vice- Presidential candidate in 1972 (with George McGovern as the candidate for U.S. President).
- John Kennedy's sister Eunice Shriver dead - Aug 11, 2009
- Special Olympics founder Eunice Kennedy Shriver dead - Aug 11, 2009
- Only 2 Kennedy siblings left on earth - Aug 12, 2009
- U.S First Lady Along With Several Others Pay Tribute To Sargent Shriver - Jan 23, 2011
- Eunice Kennedy Shriver dies at 88 - Aug 11, 2009
- Special Olympics founder Eunice Kennedy dies at 88 - Aug 11, 2009
- Statement from President Obama on the passing of Eunice Kennedy Shriver - Aug 11, 2009
- Special Olympics founder, Eunice Shriver very ill - Aug 11, 2009
- Arnold Schwarzenegger, Maria Shriver split after 25 years - May 10, 2011
- New tome reveals Jackie Kennedy's love for JFK - Jun 03, 2010
- Eunice Shriver Passes Away - Aug 12, 2009
- Peace Corps Founder, Sargent Shriver Dies At 95 - Jan 19, 2011
- Etihad official carrier of Pakistani special olympics team - Jun 21, 2011
- Bilingual kids faster at switching tasks - Apr 04, 2012
- Obama to hold online 2012 re-election rally on Facebook today - Apr 20, 2011
Tags: alderson west virginia, bachelor of science degree, brookline massachusetts, catholic ceremony, convent of the sacred heart, degree in sociology, disability rights movement, eunice kennedy shriver, george mcgovern, juvenile court, kennedy legacy, manhattanville college, maria shriver, palo alto california, president john f kennedy, robert sargent shriver, rose kennedy, service tradition, special olympics, united states department