English Chess hit by race row over abuse of young Muslim playersAugust 16th, 2012 - 9:28 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, Aug 16 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Three young Muslim chess players are said to have been abused by their supporters and other competitors in an English chess competition. The three players aged 13, 10 and 7 years old were allegedly abused by the very people who were supporting them.
The three boys, together with their mother were the representatives from England at the youth competition. The chess game is usually a quiet one but this incident has largely rocked it. The family of the brothers said that things got so heated that the brothers and their parents had to be escorted back to their hotel by the police.
It is said that the family was abused in all ways. There were abused racially physically and verbally by those who were supposed to be supporting them in the youth chess competition.
Claims have it that parents of other children who are on the England team harassed and called the brothers names while they were in the stands. It I also said that one of the brothers was forcefully grabbed by the chest and in the process he was hurt and started to bleed. It is also said that the three brothers were not given good food during the competition while their team mates got to eat all the good food. Investigations on the allegations are currently underway.
- English chess hit by race row over young Muslim players - Aug 15, 2012
- Sreesanth 'verbally abused' by spectator during Centurion Test - Dec 18, 2010
- No retirement yet for Vishy Anand (Roundup) - Jun 03, 2012
- Court refuses to stay probe against chess federation (Lead) - Nov 22, 2011
- Fanatics tell Brit Muslim girl in Miss Universe competition to 'rot in hell' - Mar 11, 2011
- Murray's pups proudly display their master's medals (Olympics Diary) - Aug 08, 2012
- Footballers' association demands Blatter's resignation on racism comments - Nov 17, 2011
- Documentary on blind chess players ready - Aug 18, 2012
- Putin praises Russian, Indian chess schools - May 31, 2012
- Punjab MP's fast completes 100 hours - May 05, 2011
- For a day, Manipur forgets blockade and celebrates - Oct 28, 2011
- Parker to captain England against Holland - Feb 29, 2012
- Court reserves order on DU sports quota guidelines (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Terry facing criminal charges over alleged racial slurs - Dec 22, 2011
- Minor girl raped by two youths in Rajasthan - Aug 20, 2012
Tags: allegations, brothers names, chess, chess competition, chess game, chess players, england team, english chess, good food, investigations, london, muslim, parents, quiet one, team mates, youth chess, youth competition