Emmett Till’s Casket Headed Towards MuseumAugust 29th, 2009 - 6:33 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
On Friday, the family of Emmett Till made the announcement that the glass topped casket which had displayed the disfigured body of Till to the world, was on its way to the Smithsonian Institution. The incident involving Emmett Till and his eventual gruesome murder is considered to be the rallying point that triggered off and set in motion the civil rights movement.
In a statement, Till’s cousin Simeon Wright said, “Hopefully, when this casket, when it’s on display at the Smithsonian, young boys and young girls from all over the world are going to see it and it’s going to inspire them to fight for those who are too weak to fight for themselves.”
Said Lonnie Bunch, who is the director of the Smithsonian’s planned National Museum of African American History and Culture, “Part of the responsibility of a national museum is to help people to remember, and through this donation we will ensure that future generations will remember how the death of a child, a mother’s courage, helped to transform America.”
The Friday announcement made at the Roberts Temple Church of God in Christ coincided with the 54th anniversary of the day on which Till was killed. Till’s casket was discovered when a mass burial site land resale scam was unearthed last month. In a rundown shack like garage, the casket was found during the investigation procedure of the cemetery land resale scam.
Till had been a brutal victim of racial discrimination. At the age of 14, he was dragged from his bed and lynched as well as shot to death because of whistling at a white woman. His body was thrown in the river, where it had remained for three days, before it was netted out by two fishermen.
- Meet Soapman, the 18th century Egyptian mummy made of soap! - Jan 05, 2011
- Emmet Till Makes News Years After His Death - Jul 10, 2009
- Farrah Fawcet's Iconic Red Swimsuit Now In SmithSonian - Feb 03, 2011
- Buddhist relics to be housed in Orissa museum - Apr 25, 2011
- Half of Russians want Lenin buried: Poll - Jun 14, 2012
- Rare Possessions of Harriet Tubman Donated To Smithsonian - Mar 11, 2010
- Grave robber steals Fender Telecaster guitar from a casket - Sep 28, 2011
- Harriet Tubman items to be displayed at the Smithsonian - Mar 11, 2010
- Nazi camp atrocities on display in Shanghai - Apr 19, 2012
- Man digs pool, finds 300-year-old cemetery - Nov 13, 2011
- Michael Jackson's Museum Gets The Nod - Jun 07, 2010
- Ancient site in Pakistan found, lost and found again - Aug 25, 2011
- Bhopal gas tragedy feeds a people's museum (Feature) - Sep 19, 2011
- Lonnie Franklin Jr. arrested in the 'Grim Sleeper' case - Jul 08, 2010
- Kolkata's slum kids seek Don Bosco's blessings - Jul 17, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,