Elmer Geronimo Pratt diesJune 4th, 2011 - 1:59 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Los Angeles, June 3 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Elmer G. “Geronimo” Pratt has died at the age of 63. Elmer became famous in the 1970s when his imprisonment for murder was seen as racially motivated. He was the leader of the Los Angeles Black Panther Party and he spent 27 years behind bars after being convicted of murder.
Elmer’s conviction was overturned when the San Francisco attorney Stuart Hanlon picked up his case. Hanlon who announced the death of Elmer told reporters that his former client died at his home in Tanzania. Elmer’s sister was the person who told Hanlon about Elmer’s death.
Elmer’s case gained prominence at the era where racism was very much part of the US fabric. After his trial, Elmer was sentenced in 1972 for fatally shooting Caroline Olsen and critically wounding Kenneth her husband. The incident happened when armed robbers attacked the two and managed to escape with $18.
Elmer’s conviction was overturned in 1997 by the Orange County Superior Court. The judge who acquitted Elmer ruled that the prosecutors withheld vital evidence that could have resulted in the acquittal of Elmer during the trial.
Elmer moved to his home country of Tanzania where he lived till he died.
- MJ's jab dabs are not those of Dr. Conrad Murray - Apr 18, 2011
- (HOLD) SC admits plea challenging acquital of Bathani Tola accused - Jul 16, 2012
- Apex court to rule if states can appeal acquittals in CBI cases - Mar 19, 2012
- SC admits plea against acquittal in Bihar massacre (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Obama administration to continue terrorism trials in civilian court despite criticism - Nov 19, 2010
- SC upholds life for former MP Anand Mohan (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Phil Spector' lawyers appeal to overturn murder conviction - Apr 13, 2011
- Acquittal of five in Shivani Bhatnagar murder case contested (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Goa serial killer acquitted in fifth murder case - Nov 13, 2010
- Geronimo descendant asks for apology - May 09, 2011
- Murder most foul: Timeline of Harpreet Kaur murder case - Mar 30, 2012
- Rape-murder accused's acquittal reversed; gets life term - Feb 13, 2012
- Apex court upholds life for former MP Anand Mohan - Jul 10, 2012
- 95-year-old woman gets life term for killing daughter-in-law - Oct 18, 2011
- Supreme Court reserves verdict in Red Fort shootout case (Lead) - Apr 20, 2011
Tags: 1970s, acquittal, armed robbers, black panther party, conviction, county superior court, elmer geronimo pratt, fabric, imprisonment, june 3, olsen, orange county superior court, prominence, prosecutors, racism, san francisco attorney, stuart hanlon, tanzania, vital evidence