Elderly man kills 2 doctors before killing self in southwestern GermanyMarch 7th, 2012 - 4:47 am ICT by BNO News
WEILERBACH, Germany (BNO NEWS) — An elderly man opened fire at a hospital in southwestern Germany on Monday afternoon, killing two doctors and wounding a nurse, local media reported on Tuesday. The gunman later killed himself.
The attack took place at around 3:30 p.m. local time on Monday when the 78-year-old man entered a hospital in the small town of Weilerbach, located in Kaiserslautern district in the state of Rhineland-Palatinate, and opened fire.
The elderly man, whose identity was not immediately released but who was reportedly a patient at the hospital’s internal medicine practice area, fired several shots at two doctors in the building, killing both of them. A nurse was injured when he or she was hit by a ricochet bullet, according to Südwestrundfunk.
After the attack, the gunman fled the hospital as police officers attempted to stop him, briefly leading to a chase. But the elderly man managed to reach his house and barricaded himself inside. Security forces later discovered the man’s dead body, apparently suffering from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Weilerbach Mayor Horst Bonhagen said the deadly shooting shocked the small town. “It is inconceivable, inexplicable,” he was quoted as saying by local media reports. Weilerbach’s population stands at around 4,600 people.
- Moderate earthquake rattles western Germany - Feb 14, 2011
- Gunman kills 4 at Minnesota workplace before shooting self - Sep 29, 2012
- Christmas tree turns out to be a 2-meter cannabis plant in Germany - Dec 09, 2010
- Man guns down two doctors, kills self - Mar 06, 2012
- Jobless Greek takes two hostage - Mar 02, 2012
- Indian American student among wounded in US shooting (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Gunman kills five, self at US skating rink - Jul 24, 2011
- Two wounded in gurdwara shooting improve - Aug 10, 2012
- Gunman opens fire in Hollywood before being killed by police - Dec 10, 2011
- German teacher stabbed to death at school - Feb 19, 2010
- Three killed in shooting near US varsity (Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Doctor shoots family, kills self in US - Feb 29, 2012
- 14 killed, 50 wounded at Batman showing in US (Fourth Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Michigan man stabs Chrysler Group co-worker to death before killing self - Sep 22, 2012
- Gurdwara shooter acted alone: FBI - Aug 09, 2012
Tags: bno, chase, elderly man, gunman, horst, internal medicine practice, local media, local time, medicine, monday afternoon, nurse, old man, palatinate, police officers, population, security forces, self inflicted gunshot wound, southwestern germany, two doctors, weilerbach