Eight people hurt in Salford Tesco fridge explosionDecember 13th, 2010 - 8:42 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Walkden, Dec 13 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A fridge exploded at a Tesco Extra supermarket store, which was located in Ellesmere Centre in Bolton Road, Walkden. And in the process, 8 people were critically injured. It is a sad experience was a store because this store had just opened its doors in September 2010.
Due to the explosion, around 1000 people needed to be asked to evacuate the store, out of concerns for their safety. Due to the upcoming festival season, people were busy in Christmas shopping in the nearby stores as well. Shoppers recounted that there was a huge noise and then the Tesco Extra store was engulfed in white smoke.
Investigators say that they think that a ruptured pipe in the defective fridge might have caused the explosion. After the pipe burst then it also caused another problem because it spread carbon dioxide into the store.
According to a witness – Diane Moran said that, “Everyone was just screaming and running, and leaving their trolleys. It was scary. My son was crying his eyes out. I had to pick him up and leave his wheelchair inside while I carried him out. We were right next to it when it happened. There was a big massive bang and loads of white smoke everywhere.”
- Briton gives 50-pound notes to public as Christmas gift - Dec 29, 2011
- Coffee machine explodes in Britain, seven hurt - Sep 15, 2010
- Kate Middleton shops for groceries - May 06, 2011
- Junk food adds up to over a quarter of UK shoppers' grocery bills - Jun 18, 2010
- Strokes hit smokers earlier than others - Oct 03, 2011
- Cigarette displays to be banned in England - Mar 10, 2011
- Serial shopping trolley thief finally caught - Dec 02, 2011
- Futuristic fridge will automatically order fresh food - Dec 26, 2010
- Your shopping trolley will soon be knowing what you want - Sep 18, 2009
- British supermarket to sell Viagra - Sep 19, 2010
- Woman accused of theft by TESCO after finding waffles at her house - Feb 11, 2011
- Six killed in Pakistan fireworks blast (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- British woman convicted for 229th time - Jun 28, 2011
- British shops set to net a record 1.5 billion pounds World Cup bonanza - Apr 07, 2010
- Man taken for dead wakes up in morgue - Jul 26, 2011
Tags: bolton road, carbon dioxide, christmas, christmas shopping, doors, ellesmere, explosion, fridge, investigators, nearby stores, sad experience, shoppers, supermarket, tesco, trolleys, wheelchair, white smoke, witness