Egypt close down Great PyramidNovember 12th, 2011 - 12:14 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Cairo, Nov 11 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Egyptian authorities closed the Great Pyramid in Cairo following rumors that some people plan to have rituals on the special day 11/11/11. The Egyptian authorities did not name the rumor as the reason why the tourist site has been closed.
The pyramid which is located just outside Cairo will be re-opened on Saturday after the ‘ritual day’ has passed. The Egyptian antiquity officials say they closed the pyramid because of “maintenance” schedule.
The Associated Press reported that security at the pyramid site has been increased. The officials say rumors that rituals at the pyramid site are false.
The Great Pyramid also called the Khufu pyramid is the only monument among the Seven Wonders of the World which is still standing. The site has been declared as a UNESCO Heritage Site and as such has significant importance to the world.
11/11/11 is a special date which many people believe hold special significance. Queues have been reported in several cities around the world because would-be couples believe the day will bring them some luck.
Hospitals around the world also reports that pregnant and expectant woman are submitting to caesarian procedures to have their babies born on the day.
- Two Sets of Pyramids Discovered In Egypt - Aug 14, 2012
- Now, a robot to unravel mysterious tunnels in Great Pyramid at Giza - Aug 08, 2010
- How Egyptians erected their giant pyramids - Sep 26, 2010
- Pyramid builders were labourers, not slaves, reveal newly found Egyptian tombs - Jan 11, 2010
- 5,000-year-old wooden boat discovered in Egypt - Jul 26, 2012
- Cairo begins to stabilise, pyramids deserted - Feb 06, 2011
- 20,000 weddings in Delhi on 11.11.11 - Nov 11, 2011
- Mystery of million mummies buried near Snefu's Seila pyramid - Jun 14, 2010
- Are you ready for your date with 11.11.11? - Nov 10, 2011
- Cairo running out of petrol, food items - Feb 02, 2011
- Attempt to steal pharaoh's statue foiled in Egypt - Feb 25, 2011
- Egypt to re-open its historical sites on Sunday - Feb 18, 2011
- Egypt asks German museum for Nefertiti bust - Jan 25, 2011
- India celebrates Mahashivratri with fasting and prayers (Roundup) - Mar 02, 2011
- UAE asks people to vote for seven wonders contest - Aug 25, 2011
Tags: associated press, babies, cairo, cities around the world, couples, egypt, egyptian antiquity, egyptian authorities, expectant woman, hospitals, khufu pyramid, maintenance schedule, queues, rituals, seven wonders, unesco, unesco heritage, wonders of the world