Edward Kennedy’s Death Mourned By RepublicansAugust 26th, 2009 - 7:15 pm ICT by GD
By Madhuri Dey
Senator Edward Kennedy was the power house for the Democrats and a subject of ridicule for the Republicans. But such was the capability of the Senator to span the partisan divide on an array of legislative matters that it drew condolences not only from the Democrats but from the Republicans as well, following his death on Tuesday after succumbing to a brain tumor. He was 77.
The Democrats were led by the current US President Barack Obama who said, “For five decades, virtually every piece major of legislation to advance the civil rights, health and economic well being of the American people bore his name and resulted from his efforts.”
From the Republican’s side, the widow of the President Ronald Reagan , Nancy Reagan was the first one to speak up first about the Senator who passed away on Tuesday. “Given our political differences people are sometimes surprised by how close Ronnie and I have been to the Kennedy family,” said Reagan in a statement released in Los Angeles following the death of Edward Kennedy. “But Ronnie and Ted would always find common ground, and they had great respect for one another. In recent years Ted and I found our common ground in stem cell research, and I considered him an ally and a dear friend. I will miss him,” Reagan added.
California Governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger, whose wife Maria Shriver was Kennedy’s niece expressed his grief as he said, “He was known to the world as the Lion of the Senate, a champion of social justice and a political icon. Most importantly he was the rock of our family: a loving husband, father, brother and uncle.”
Teddy’s death was soon after the demise of Maria’s mother Eunice Kennedy Shriver, who passed away on 11th of this month.
- `Kennedy's roar silent but dream won't die' - Aug 26, 2009
- World leaders pay tribute to Ted Kennedy - Aug 26, 2009
- President Barack Obama's Remarks at Edward Kennedy's Funeral - Aug 29, 2009
- Special Olympics founder Eunice Kennedy Shriver dead - Aug 11, 2009
- Special Olympics founder, Eunice Shriver very ill - Aug 11, 2009
- Ted Kennedy man of great faith and character: Schwarzenegger - Aug 26, 2009
- Senator Edward Kennedy's death ends `historic' US chapter (Roundup) - Aug 26, 2009
- Preston won't talk about son in public - Aug 30, 2009
- Wife forced Schwarzenegger to admit love child - May 20, 2011
- Ted Kennedy is no more; Reactions galore - Aug 26, 2009
- Arnold Schwarzenegger, Maria Shriver split after 25 years - May 10, 2011
- Statement from Governor Schwarzenegger regarding the death of Sen. Ed Kennedy - Aug 26, 2009
- 60 Minutes: Jimmy Carter Blasts Ted Kennedy on Health Care - Sep 17, 2010
- Kennedy eulogised at final farewell - Aug 30, 2009
- Peace Corps Founder, Sargent Shriver Dies At 95 - Jan 19, 2011
Tags: arnold schwarzenegger, barack obama, brain tumor, california governor arnold, california governor arnold schwarzenegger, edward kennedy, eunice kennedy shriver, governor arnold schwarzenegger, kennedy family, legislative matters, maria shriver, mother eunice, nancy reagan, political icon, president ronald reagan, rights health, ronald reagan, senator edward kennedy, stem cell research, wife maria