East Coast Airports Face Delay In Airline Services Due To Inclement WeatherDecember 22nd, 2009 - 7:43 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Dec.22, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The Holiday season is plagued with annoying delay in Airline services this year. A massive storm is wrecking havoc in the east Coast. The storm also resulted in snags in electricity supply to several areas. It has claimed five lives so far. It is not going to subside anytime soon as weather experts have warned. The Reagan National Airport in Washington D.C. saw 16 inches snowfall which is a record in December. Philadelphia also got similar amount of snowfall. However things showed signs of improving on Monday. However, even yesterday several hundred flights were canceled due to the rough weather.
Newark International Airport is facing the problem of high wind and as a result flights are getting delayed by more than 1 hour. The departure timing has also been affected. Even San Francisco airport is going through the same difficulty. The residents are resorting to snow blowers to keep their houses and cars free from snow. Hence, the demand of the device has shot up considerably. The roads are slippery and slick and this may lead to car accidents. The holiday shopping has also been severely affected by the snowstorm.
A number of schools remained closed on Monday. In Washington, bus services were hit and federal agencies had to shut operations. However, the metro came to the rescue of the commuters. Virginia and West Virginia were the worst affected areas with power outage. As one can expect, the shopping crowd at big malls were very small comparatively. However, the merchants did not expect regular crowd this year, ever since the storm started.
- Chicago Blizzard Leaves City In Mayhem - Feb 03, 2011
- Snowstorms effect: New Year plans take a hit (Roundup) - Dec 29, 2010
- Snowstorm storms upper Midwest - Feb 25, 2012
- Snow traps cars on the M40 in UK - Feb 06, 2012
- Snow and ice blanket Britain - Feb 05, 2012
- European holiday makers' plans hit by heavy snowfall (Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- Georgians Having A Tough Time As Atlanta Experiences Heavy Snow Storm - Jan 10, 2011
- Minneapolis Airport Closed After Blizzard Onslaught - Dec 12, 2010
- Federal Government Operations Remain Closed On Wednesday Too - Feb 10, 2010
- Winter storm pounds US East Coast, grinds Washington to halt - Dec 20, 2009
- Massive snowstorm barrels into paralysed Washington - Feb 10, 2010
- Washington shuts down in anticipation of 'snowpocalypse' - Feb 07, 2010
- Snowed-in Washington digging itself out of 'historic mess' - Feb 08, 2010
- European economy gets hit by massive snowfall (Second Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- Chicago Storm Forces Cancelation Of More Than Thousand Flights At O'Hare International Airport - Dec 13, 2010
Tags: airline services, annoying delay, car accidents, departure timing, electricity supply, high wind, holiday shopping, inclement weather, massive storm, newark international airport, power outage, ranjan, reagan national airport, rough weather, san francisco airport, snags, snow blowers, snowstorm, weather experts, wrecking havoc