Earthquake hits Los Angeles measuring 4.5 Richter ScaleJanuary 9th, 2009 - 1:42 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
An earthquake measuring 4.5 on the Richter scale shook the downtown Los Angeles, parts of the High Desert, San Pedro and coastal and inland Orange County, but was not felt as far south as San Diego, although no injuries or damage were reported.The epicenter of the quake, which happened on Friday, January 09, 2009 at 03:49:46 UTC Coordinated Universal Time ) and Thursday, January 08, 2009 at 07:49:46 PM at epicenter local time reported by the U.S. Geological Survey, was 3 km (2 miles) SSW (202°) from San Bernardino, CA, 5 km (3 miles) NNE (19°) from Colton, CA, 7 km (4 miles) E (94°) from Rialto, CA, 87 km (54 miles) E (86°) from Los Angeles Civic Center, CA, with the depth of 14.1 km (8.8 miles).
The USGS originally believed the quake measured 5.0 then officials later downgraded it to 4.5.
Experts say this loose soil could liquefy in the event of a massive quake, causing buildings to topple. As of 2005, about 100 unreinforced masonry buildings in the city lacked any form of retrofitting, according to city and state records.
- Strong earthquake rocks Philippines - Sep 27, 2008
- California Hit By Strong Earthquake - Dec 31, 2009
- Massive Earthquake in China - Nov 10, 2008
- Quake measuring 5.0 Richter struck off New Ireland, Papua New Guinea - Oct 17, 2008
- Earthquake near Fiji Islands - Oct 24, 2008
- Magnitude 5.2 shakes Ryukyu Islands, Japan - Oct 22, 2008
- An earthquake of magnitude 5.3 hits Guam - Mar 03, 2009
- Earthquake in Fiji Region - Oct 07, 2008
- A moderate earthquake in Fiji - Oct 01, 2008
- Earthquake in Los Angeles - May 03, 2009
- Earthquake in Puerto Rico - Oct 09, 2008
- Earthquake Hits Los Angeles, WWE Smackdown Still On As Planned - Mar 17, 2010
- California earthquake shakes Los Angeles to San Diego - May 18, 2009
- California Hit By Second Earthquake This Year - Feb 05, 2010
- Earthquake in Tonga - Oct 10, 2008
Tags: civic center, colton ca, coordinated universal time, e 94, earthquake, epicenter, far south, high desert, loose soil, nne, orange county, quake, retrofitting, rialto ca, richter scale, san bernardino ca, ssw, u s geological survey, unreinforced masonry buildings, usgs