Dutch royal family visits victims of Queens Day attackMay 2nd, 2009 - 10:16 pm ICT by admin
Tilburg, THE NETHERLANDS (BNO NEWS) – Queen Beatrix, along with members of the Dutch royal family, visited victims of the Queens Day attack on Thursday, the Government Information Service said in a press release on Saturday.
The attack happened on Thursday, during the national Queens Day holiday when a 38-year-old man crashed his car through fences, into a large crowd and then slammed into a monument in an attempt to attack a bus carrying the royal family. No one on the bus was injured but six bystanders were killed and several others were injured when they were struck by the speeding car as the royal family watched in disbelief. The attacker was also killed and it is believed to be the first attack on the Dutch royal family in modern time.
Queen Beatrix, Prince of Orange Willem-Alexander, Princess Maxima, Princess Margriet and her husband, Pieter van Vollenhoven, visited hospitals in Zwolle, Utrecht, Amersfoort, Tilburg and Arnhem on Saturday morning and afternoon. They spoke with victims and their families. The ANP news agency released a photo showing Queen Beatrix leaving a hospital in Zwolle.
The attack was caught on tape and shown on live television as it happened during a national parade. Some of the shocking footage can be found here (reporter footage) and here (live report on NOS Television).
- Dutch queen tours Abu Dhabi mosque - Jan 09, 2012
- Stampede at Dutch war memorial service - May 05, 2010
- Dutch Royal parade attack suspect dead - May 01, 2009
- Dutch prince hospitalised after Austrian avalanche - Feb 18, 2012
- Dutch prince critical after skiing accident - Feb 20, 2012
- World Cup success gives Dutch monarchy a boost - Jul 08, 2010
- Four killed in attack on Dutch royal parade - Apr 30, 2009
- One person arrested after disturbance injures dozens during Amsterdam WWII memorial - May 05, 2010
- Dutch royals attacker dies, says TV report - May 01, 2009
- Amsterdam police to hold news conference on incident during memorial - May 05, 2010
- Pieters to miss Euro 2012 due to foot injury - May 08, 2012
- Dutch league match suspended due to dense fog - Nov 21, 2011
- Dutch reach World Cup final after 3-2 defeat of Uruguay - Jul 07, 2010
- Designer gives sari the Dutch touch (With Image) - Aug 16, 2012
- European Parliament sends letter to Queen Beatrix after failed attack - May 01, 2009
Tags: amersfoort, arnhem, bno, bystanders, disbelief, dutch royal family, government information service, large crowd, live television, modern time, national parade, national queens, pieter van vollenhoven, princess margriet, princess maxima, queen beatrix, queens day, shocking footage, speeding car, willem alexander