Dutch gamers break Guinness world record non-stop gamingJuly 19th, 2010 - 12:14 am ICT by BNO News
ROTTERDAM (BNO NEWS) — Six Dutch gamers have broken the Guinness world record for non-stop gaming after they played Red Dead Redemption for 50 hours.
The men began their game marathon at 12.55 p.m. local time at a shop in Rotterdam. The old world record stood at 40 hours and 20 minutes as of September 2009 and was achievement by an Indian.
A Guinness World Records representative traveled from London to the Dutch city to watch Edward and Maykel Leest, Sven de Vries, Renzo Bos, Robbie van Eijkeren and Marcel van Waardenburg as they carried out their attempt.
The attempt to break the record was organized by a Dutch company which wanted to promote a controller for the Sony PlayStation 3. “If you, as a company, introduce a new product that makes sure that empty controllers are history, a world record non-stop gaming is a fantastic statement of its power,” said Gerdi Vogels, CEO of Vogel’s Products B.V.
The group was allowed to take 10-minute breaks every hour, and a 50-minute break every 5 hours.
The gamers decided after 50 hours to end their attempt, as they had already broken the original record hours earlier. They will be given 1000 euros (1291 dollars) as a reward by the company that organized the event.
“The participants entered as opponents and left as world record holders,” said Gaz Deaves of the Guinness World Records.
- Largest video game controller unveiled in London - Jan 19, 2012
- Elite gamers set world record playing video game for 50 hours - Jan 21, 2011
- Lara Croft named most successful woman computer game - Jan 21, 2010
- TV watching contest to mark Dutch TV's 60 years - Oct 01, 2011
- Microsoft Kinect becomes fastest-selling electronic device of all time - Mar 11, 2011
- US boy sets world record with perfect score on Dance Dance Revolution - Feb 01, 2011
- Lara Croft named most successful babe in computer game history - Jan 21, 2010
- Chicago school sets new 'high-five' world record - Sep 13, 2010
- Non-stop, 32-hour yoga sets Guinness record - Aug 04, 2010
- Oz girls to watch more than 86hrs of soccer to break world record - Jun 12, 2010
- Terence Lewis creates Guinness World Record (With Images) - Mar 21, 2011
- Abhishek bags the Guinness Book of World Record at Apsara Awards - Jan 12, 2010
- Australian chef creates world record for tallest pancake stack - Feb 27, 2012
- Dutch girl youngest to sail around-the-globe solo - Jan 22, 2012
- New Zealand mayor sets longest interview record - Apr 30, 2012
Tags: bno, bos, ceo, dutch city, dutch company, game marathon, guinness world record, guinness world records, leest, local time, marcel van, maykel, opponents, playstation 3, redemption, renzo, rotterdam, sony playstation, sony playstation 3, sven