Dutch airspace to close at 7 p.m. local time due to volcanic ashApril 15th, 2010 - 9:56 pm ICT by BNO News
AMSTERDAM (BNO NEWS) — Dutch airspace will close on Thursday evening as a cloud of volcanic ash spreads over parts of northern Europe, airport authorities said.
All airports in the Netherlands are expected to shut down for all non-emergency flights at 7 p.m. local time. “Air traffic to and from the Netherlands will be gradually halted in the next few hours,” a statement from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport read. “Current expectations are that air traffic to and from the Netherlands will come to a complete standstill after 19.00 hours this evening.” Eindhoven Airport released a similar statement.
Schiphol Airport cancelled more than 450 departing flights and more than 365 arriving flights on Thursday, as of 5 p.m. Dozens of flights on Friday, mainly from the United Kingdom, were also cancelled.
- Volcanic ash halts all flights in several European countries - Apr 15, 2010
- Dutch airspace to remain closed until at least Saturday evening - Apr 17, 2010
- European airlines cancel more than 500 flights as volcanic ash spreads - May 24, 2011
- Europe cancels 250 flights over volcanic ash (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Man held over bomb threat to Amsterdam airport (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Dutch authorities extend flight ban until Sunday evening - Apr 18, 2010
- Eurocontrol: Impact of volcanic ash to continue until at least Sunday afternoon - Apr 17, 2010
- Passengers stuck as volcanic ash spreads across Europe (Second lead) - Apr 16, 2010
- BNO News source: Dutch authorities extend flight ban until early Monday - Apr 18, 2010
- European air traffic authority: Some 20,000 flights cancelled on Sunday - Apr 18, 2010
- Air traffic control strike grounds flights across Belgium - Sep 28, 2010
- Dutch police investigate small plane that breached closed airspace - Apr 17, 2010
- Iceland's volcanic ash cloud disrupts flights across Europe (Second lead) - Apr 15, 2010
- European no-fly zone shrinks, but remains subject to change - Apr 20, 2010
- Dozens sickened during ArkeFly flight from Amsterdam to Canary Islands - Dec 18, 2010
Tags: air traffic, airport authorities, airports in the netherlands, airspace, amsterdam schiphol airport, arriving flights, bno, departing flights, dozens, eindhoven airport, local time, northern europe, standstill, time air, united kingdom, volcanic ash