Drug Lord Arturo Beltran Levya Killed In ShootoutDecember 17th, 2009 - 7:32 pm ICT by GD
By Madhuri Dey
Dec. 17, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Arturo Beltran Levya, the infamous drug lord who had been on the list of the most wanted men of the United States, was killed on Wednesday, Dec. 16. He was killed in a shootout that broke out between the members of his drug cartel and the Mexican Navy forces inside the premises of an uptown apartment in Cuernavaca, a few miles south of Mexico City. Three other members of the drug cartel were also killed in the shootout, and the police suspect that there might have been a fifth person who had committed suicide. The Navy refused to give out the name of the person, adhering to their official rules.
Arturo Beltran Levya had been on the wanted list of the United States Drug Enforcement Administration for quite some time now. He had been at the head of one of the biggest and most successful drug cartels of the country and had been responsible for the trafficking of huge amounts of cocaine and heroine in Mexico and the United States.
The death of the Mexican drug lord comes as a mark of victory for the president of the state, Felipe Calderon. He had been waging a long, and in most parts, unsuccessful, battle against the rampant business of drug trafficking in the state. Although a lot is still left to be done, the death of the chief of one of the biggest drug trafficking organization makes the job much easier. The United States have also been lending a helping hand in the fight against the drug cartels.
- First woman joins Mexican navy's special forces - Dec 12, 2011
- Mexican federal police arrest drug kingpin Edgar Valdez Villareal - Aug 31, 2010
- Mexico Navy arrests suspected drug kingpin - Sep 13, 2010
- Mexican Police Captures Drug Kingpin Edgar "La Barbie" Valdez Villarreal - Aug 31, 2010
- Severed head left at tomb of Mexican drug lord - Jan 19, 2010
- Mexican gunman accused of over 100 killings arrested - Dec 21, 2009
- Mexican authorites capture drug lord Sergio Villarreal Barragan "el Grande" - Sep 13, 2010
- 134 tons of marijuana burnt in Mexico - Oct 22, 2010
- Mexico takes action to keep criminals out of elections - Mar 02, 2012
- Four bullet-riddled bodies found in Mexico - Aug 09, 2010
- Mexican president says he received death threat - Aug 21, 2012
- Mexican drug cartels acquire tanks - Jun 08, 2011
- Bodies found in Mexico's mass graves - Apr 08, 2011
- Top drug lord Ignacio 'Nacho' Coronel killed by Mexican army - Jul 31, 2010
- Mexico Border Gunmen Kill 8 Officers - Sep 20, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,