Dozens feared missing after landslide in Papua New GuineaJanuary 24th, 2012 - 6:49 pm ICT by BNO News
PORT MORESBY (BNO NEWS) — As many as 40 people are believed to be missing after a large landslide devastated two villages in Papua New Guinea’s Southern Highlands region on Tuesday morning, a minister said.
Papua New Guinean Petroleum and Energy Minister Francis Potape told Radio Australia that the landslide happened on early Tuesday morning near the village of Tari in the Southern Highlands province. He said the landslide struck two villages as people slept.
“The landslide is about a kilometer (0.6 mile) long and about 300 meters (984 feet) wide,” Potape told Radio Australia. “There are people buried underneath and a number of them are from what I have heard, children.”
A photo published by Radio Australia showed some houses narrowly avoided being swept away. “Almost five big trucks have also been covered and gardens and houses all destroyed,” local resident Joseph Warai was quoted as saying. He said as many as 40 people are missing.
The landslide happened near one of the main work sites for Exxon-Mobil’s liquefied natural gas (PNG LNG) project in the region. A company spokeswoman said work at the site and a nearby airfield has been halted and said Exxon has offered help to assist with search-and-rescue operations.
Other details were not immediately known.
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no damage - Aug 20, 2012
- 6.7-magnitude earthquake strikes Papua New Guinea - Mar 22, 2012
- 6.6 quake hits Papua New Guinea (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Wreckage of missing plane found in Papua New Guinea - Aug 12, 2009
- Magnitude-7.3 quake jolts Papua New Guinea - Dec 14, 2011
- Magnitude 6.6 quake hits New Britain region, Papua New Guinea (Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Quake hits Papua New Guinea - Aug 21, 2011
- Teenaged boy raped at knife-point by 10 women - Nov 22, 2010
- Nine Australians on plane missing in Papua New Guinea - Aug 11, 2009
- 17-yr-old boy gang raped by 10 women: Police chief - Nov 22, 2010
- England keeper Jones to play for Papua New Guinea - Mar 12, 2012
- Strong earthquake rocks Papua New Guinea's New Britain, no reports of damage - Jun 16, 2011
- India, Australia sign $20.5 bn gas deal - Aug 19, 2009
- "Underpants' thief" terrorising plane passengers in Papua New Guinea! - Oct 12, 2009
- Six missing after landslide hits village in southeastern China - Apr 24, 2012
Tags: company spokeswoman, early tuesday, energy minister, exxon, exxon mobil, guinean, landslide, liquefied natural gas, lng project, nearby airfield, new guinea port, papua new guinea, papua new guinea port, radio australia, rescue operations, search and rescue, southern highlands province, southern highlands region, tari, tuesday morning