Discovery Building: James Jay Lee in Custody, Shot by Police, Hostages SafeSeptember 2nd, 2010 - 4:14 am ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
Sep 1 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Police have confirmed to FOX News that the suspect in the Discovery Channel Building hostage situation has been shot by police, and taken into custody. The explosive device which he had strapped to him possibly was detonated, since witnesses saw smoke, but this is unconfirmed. All of the hostages are said to be safe, and no one was harmed except for the suspect.
James Jay Lee was arrested in 2008 for disorderly conduct for actions which he did while at a protest in front of the Discovery Channel Building. He wrote a manifesto in July in which he compared human babies to parasites and said that human needed to stop pro-creating. Lee wanted to talk with Discovery Channel executives because he was demanding that they change their programming in order to express his views to “save the planet.” He also has a Myspace page in which he calls himself a “world guardian” and links to his manifesto.
Lee’s Myspace page lists his favorite books as ‘Ishmael’, ‘My Ishmael’, and ‘The Story of B’. His heroes are listed as ‘Daniel Quinn’ and ‘James T Kirk’, who is not a real person, but is the character of the Captain on the original ‘Star Trek’. Ironically, Lee’s favorite television shows include ‘The Discovery Channel’.
The police confirm that they did shoot Lee because they felt that the lives of the hostages were in danger. Lee was taken into custody, and his condition has not yet been released. All of the 1900+ people who were in the building at the time that Lee walked in waving a gun, with a bomb strapped to his chest, are said to be safe. This includes over 100 babies who were in a day care center inside the building. These babies were wheeled out of the building to safety while still asleep in their cribs.
Police are sweeping the building for more possible explosives.
- Hostage Suspect James Jay Lee Background: Arrested in 2008 Protesting At Same Building - Sep 02, 2010
- Discovery Channel hostage situation resolved with all hostages safe, suspect killed - Sep 02, 2010
- James J Lee Takes Discovery Channel Building Hostage, Babies Being Evacuated, Manifesto Found - Sep 02, 2010
- US hostage taker said he had bombs strapped to body - Sep 02, 2010
- US hostage taker said he was strapped with bombs (Lead) - Sep 02, 2010
- Hostage situation at Discovery Channel headquarters - Sep 02, 2010
- US hostage crisis ends as gunman shot dead (Third Lead) - Sep 02, 2010
- Police Shoot Down Gunman After Discovery Channel Employees Taken Hostage - Sep 02, 2010
- Suspected Gunman James Lee Shot By Authorities - Sep 02, 2010
- US hostage drama ends as gunman taken into custody (Second Lead) - Sep 02, 2010
- Gunman takes several hostages in US (Lead) - Sep 02, 2010
- Arizona Shooter Jared Lee Loughner Mentally Unstable? - Jan 09, 2011
- Bomb-Hostage Situation in the Discovery Channel Building, Area being Evacuated - Sep 02, 2010
- Mother arrested after she drives off with baby on car roof - Jun 05, 2012
- Denied vehicle licence, man takes four hostages in London (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
Tags: cribs, daniel quinn, day care center, discovery channel, disorderly conduct, explosive device, explosives, favorite books, fox news, hostage situation, hostages, human babies, ironically, james t kirk, manifesto, myspace page, parasites, real person, star trek, television shows