Disbarred lawyer in Oregon pleads guilty to mail fraudFebruary 11th, 2010 - 2:29 pm ICT by BNO News
SEATTLE (BNO NEWS) – A disbarred lawyer of Gig Harbor, Oregon on Wednesday pleaded guilty to mail fraud in credit card debt elimination scheme, prosecutors said.
Bruce Hawkins, 50, a disbarred attorney pleaded guilty in a U.S. District Court in Tacoma to Mail Fraud. Hawkins was named in an eight count indictment returned under seal in April 2009. The indictment detailed how Hawkins promoted a fraudulent debt elimination scheme from 2003 to 2005. He took fees from more than 1000 debtors after falsely representing that he could eliminate their credit card debt. Gaining more than $880,000 through the scheme, Hawkins faces an agreed upon sentence by the parties of three years in prison.
According to the records in the case, Hawkins used his status as an attorney to promote his false legal theory that national banks could not lend credit, and therefore consumers did not have to repay their debt. He allegedly paid other co-conspirators to every debtor they sent to his program, as a finders-fee.
Hawkins was disbarred by the Washington State Bar Association in February of 2006.
The case is the result of an investigation by the Internal Revenue Service-Criminal Investigation (IRS-CI).
- Indian American fundraiser for jailed governor arrested - Jun 21, 2012
- Woman from Waynesboro, Georgia, indicted for fraudulent tax returns - Feb 10, 2010
- Tri-Valley University head indicted in visa fraud - May 04, 2011
- Russia slams hacker's extradition to US - Jan 20, 2012
- Michigan man sentenced to prison for identity theft - Feb 02, 2010
- Broward County, FL man indicted in tax fraud scheme - Mar 17, 2010
- "Sopranos" Star Anthony Borgese Pleads Guilty To Extortion - Feb 10, 2011
- Indian-American doctor convicted of health care fraud - Mar 15, 2012
- Pakistani charged with 14 criminal counts in Canada - Apr 02, 2011
- Orange County, CA resident sentenced to over 10 years for his part in $61 million Ponzi scheme - May 14, 2010
- Ringleader of immigration benefit fraud pleads guilty - Jan 30, 2010
- Former Sarasota, FL, fund manager pleads guilty to a $162 million Ponzi scheme - Feb 25, 2010
- Two Florida men plead guilty to bank fraud and credit card conspiracy - Mar 23, 2010
- California Man Pleads Guilty to Lyme Disease Fraud - Sep 25, 2010
- A West Haven, CT woman pleads guilty to fraud - Feb 10, 2010
Tags: bno, bruce hawkins, conspirators, count indictment, credit card debt, credit card debt elimination, criminal investigation, debtor, debtors, disbarred attorney, gig harbor, harbor oregon, internal revenue service, irs, legal theory, mail fraud, national banks, prosecutors, state bar association, washington state bar association