Diamonds worth millions stolen from Swiss fairApril 1st, 2011 - 8:11 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Basel, April 1 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Prosecutors in Switzerland have announced that four diamonds worth millions of dollars have been stolen from a watch and jewelry fair in the Swiss city of Basel. The fair is the biggest of its kind in the world and the police say the theft happened on Wednesday.
A spokesman of Basel’s prosecutor’s office, Markus Melzl, released a statement saying, “On Wednesday, 30 March 2011, at around 11:00 am (0900 GMT), one of the as yet still unidentified perpetrators distracted an employee of a diamond trader in the exhibition hall 3.0, and stole four diamonds worth millions from the display window.”
Investigators have identified that the thieves managed to steal the diamonds after they distracted an employee at the fair. When the theft was detected, the organizers alerted the security at the grounds and the whole place was locked up. Officials combed the whole place but were not able to find the thieves apparently because they had already left the place.
The investigators said they are studying surveillance camera and CCTV footage at the fair to determine if they could find the robbers. The police believe the thieves had been at the location and surveyed the showcase before.
Police are yet to name any suspect in the theft.
- Thieves steal diamonds at Swiss Fair - Mar 31, 2011
- Irvine Police Investigating A Jewelry Theft - Feb 26, 2010
- Thieves break into prison to steal cigarettes - Nov 22, 2011
- Stolen forklift used to rob ATM - Apr 06, 2011
- Rembrandt stolen from South Californian hotel - Aug 15, 2011
- Mumbai diamond heist solved, suspects held in Dubai (Third Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Designer jeans worth $1 mn stolen from warehouse - Feb 27, 2012
- Dumb thieves forgot to put petrol in car! - Nov 22, 2011
- Gold, diamonds worth Rs.50 mn stolen in Ludhiana (Lead) - Dec 27, 2009
- Thieves decamp with bank's CCTV camera - Sep 19, 2010
- Jewellery worth million stolen in Gujarat - Oct 17, 2010
- Rose Devlin & Denise Egan's theft attempt goes wrong - Nov 23, 2011
- Thieves steal $1 million worth of goods from Usher's car - Jan 13, 2010
- TVs stolen from Gujarat judges' guest house - Aug 09, 2010
- Largest Dutch clog goes missing - Jan 11, 2012
Tags: april 1, basel, diamond, diamonds, exhibition hall, investigators, jewelry, news prosecutors, organizers, perpetrators, prosecutor, robbers, showcase, spokesman, surveillance camera, swiss city, switzerland, thieves