Department of Labor to grant $15 million to assist workers affected by the end of Space Shuttle ProgramJune 2nd, 2010 - 11:52 pm ICT by BNO News
MERRIT ISLAND, FLORIDA (BNO NEWS) – The U.S. Department of Labor will grant $15 million in order to assist approximately 3,200 workers affected by the end of NASA’s Space Shuttle Program, Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis announced on Wednesday.
“During nearly three decades of continuous space shuttle flights, these dedicated and talented workers have helped move our nation — and the world as a whole — forward in a broad range of disciplines,” said Secretary Solis. “Today, these hard-working Americans need and deserve our support, and I am pleased that this grant will allow them to upgrade their skills further and gain access to work opportunities in high demand industries.”
The multi-million grant will impact workers from major aerospace contractors, like ASRV, Boeing and United Space Alliance. Funds will help individuals with services including career guidance assistance, job search skills training, resume review, skills assessment and labor market information, and will provide additional types of training and continuing education opportunities.
The Space Shuttle Program will be retired by next November after a decision taken in 2004. There are up to 20,000 contract and subcontract workers who may be laid off by the end of the program.
- Obama signs trade pacts into law - Oct 22, 2011
- U.S. unemployment rate drops to 8.1 percent, lowest in 3 years - May 05, 2012
- Nearly $1 billion to be invested in the emerging health information technology industry - Feb 13, 2010
- U.S. unemployment rate drops to 8.5 percent, lowest in almost 3 years - Jan 07, 2012
- India, US to cooperate on labour issues - Feb 03, 2012
- The Labor Secretariat Of America Commends Barack Obama For His Initiatives To Augment The Health Of The Sluggish American Economy - Sep 06, 2010
- U.S. Mine Safety and Health Administration to investigate W. VA. disaster - Apr 07, 2010
- Future of defence business uncertain: PWC - May 02, 2011
- End of US shuttle programme to leave thousands out of work - Jul 08, 2011
- NASA transfers shuttle Discovery to museum - Apr 20, 2012
- Aim to establish India in global supply chain: Boeing - Feb 08, 2011
- Boeing helps prepare space shuttle Discovery's final payload - Nov 03, 2010
- Space Florida secures licenses for Space Launch Complexes 46 and 36 - Mar 20, 2010
- G20 labour ministers stress job creation - Apr 21, 2010
- UAE students to train in France - Apr 25, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,