Dalai Lama to submit proposal to step down as leaderMarch 10th, 2011 - 11:49 am ICT by BNO News
DHARAMSALA (BNO NEWS) — Tibet’s exiled Buddhist leader the Dalai Lama on Thursday announced he will formally propose necessary amendments to the Charter for Tibetans in Exile in order to resign, saying Tibetans need an elected leader.
“One of the aspirations I have cherished since childhood is the reform of Tibet’s political and social structure, and in the few years when I held effective power in Tibet, I managed to make some fundamental changes,” the 14th Dalai Lama said on the 52nd anniversary of the Tibetan National Uprising Day.
The Dalai Lama said the time has come to devolve power to a freely elected leader. “During the forthcoming eleventh session of the fourteenth Tibetan Parliament in Exile, which begins on 14th March, I will formally propose that the necessary amendments be made to the Charter for Tibetans in Exile, reflecting my decision to devolve my formal authority to the elected leader,” he said.
State-run media in China did not immediately report the announcement.
- Dalai Lama to retire, make way for elected leader (Second Lead) - Mar 10, 2011
- Dalai Lama to step down (Lead) - Mar 10, 2011
- A year since Dalai Lama's historic transition - Mar 08, 2012
- Tibetan parliament to decide on Dalai Lama move in May - Mar 25, 2011
- Dalai Lama reverses 350-year-old tradition - May 30, 2011
- Dalai Lama's plea for retiring will be discussed Tuesday (Lead) - Mar 14, 2011
- Dalai Lama's envoys re-appointed - Jun 14, 2011
- Dalai Lama finally relinquishes political powers (Lead) - May 30, 2011
- Dalai Lama's message read in Tibetan parliament-in-exile - Mar 14, 2011
- Dalai Lama again turns down Tibetan exiles' plea - May 25, 2011
- Dalai Lama's retirement: Panel to redraft charter - Mar 29, 2011
- Tibetan PM-in-exile urges Dalai Lama to reconsider his decision - Mar 10, 2011
- Tibetan diaspora to meet ahead of Dalai Lama's retirement - May 18, 2011
- Tibetan group supports Dalai Lama's decision to retire - Mar 19, 2011
- China doubts Dalai Lama's retirement - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: 14th dalai lama, anniversary, aspirations, bno, buddhist leader, charter, china, dalai lama, eleventh session, exile, fundamental changes, national uprising, necessary amendments, parliament, proposal, social structure, tibet, tibetan parliament, tibetans