Cuba rolls 230 foot cigarMay 5th, 2011 - 7:57 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Havana, May 5 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A tobacco farmer in Cuba has unveiled a 230-foot cigar that he believes will eventually make it to the Guinness World Records as the longest cigar in the world. The farmer holds the current record for the world’s longest cigar which measures 149-foot. That cigar made it to the record books in 2008.
67-year-old Jose Castelar Cairo added more than 80 feet to the previous cigar when he unveiled the new one at the Cuban capital. Local media reports that the cigar is made of 100 percent Cuban tobacco. The reports say Cairo eventually completed rolling the cigar on Tuesday. Cairo has chosen to call his cigars Cueto.
Cairo’s motivation in coming up with massive cigars stems from the conviction he holds that the record of the longest cigar should always stay with Cubans. So far, three of his works have made it to the Guinness World Records.
He was quoted by reporters as saying that, “Guinness of the largest Habano (pure Cuban tobacco) on the planet should always belong to Cuba.”
Cuba will present the cigar during the 2011 International Tourism Fair FITCuba. The cigar is currently being kept at the Morro-Cabana fortresses in Havana.
- Cuban rolls 80 m long cigar - May 04, 2011
- Cuban man sets fifth Guinness record - Nov 21, 2011
- Cuba to host international cigar festival - Feb 20, 2011
- International sales of Cuban cigars go up - Feb 28, 2012
- Cuban makes statues using tobacco leaves - Feb 06, 2012
- Cuban tobacco legend Robaina dead at 91 - Apr 19, 2010
- Cuba unveils new rum brand - Jun 09, 2012
- Sales of famed Cuban Habanos cigars down - Feb 26, 2009
- Cuba, China to enhance military cooperation - Oct 28, 2011
- Cuban bar mixes giant cocktail - Jul 23, 2012
- Vatican loans Cuba historic artefact - Jan 28, 2012
- WHO praises Cuba's health care system - Mar 28, 2012
- Castro meets experts to discuss threats to human species - Feb 12, 2012
- Cuba, US to resume friendly baseball games - Mar 21, 2012
- Wary of Egypt crisis repeat, Cuba cracks down on Internet opposition movements - Feb 11, 2011
Tags: cabana, cairo, cigar havana, cigars, conviction, cuba cuba, cuban capital, cuban tobacco, cubans, fortresses, guinness world records, international tourism, local media, motivation, record books, tobacco farmer