Cruise ship visits the earthquake-ravaged HaitiJanuary 24th, 2010 - 12:36 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Port-au-Prince, Jan 23 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A luxury cruise ship docked on a private beach in the earthquake ravaged Haiti. This move by the Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines ship came under a lot of fire, as there is a lot of suffering in the destroyed nation, whereas the ship’s occupants would chill out on the private beach in true luxury.
Even though there was some damage control by the Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines ship, because it also delivered some relief material to the earthquake ravaged nation, but still, the decision by the Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines ship to dock on the private beach, left a bad taste in the mouth. Whereas on one hand, people are trying to get the basic medical facilities and necessities to survive, and on the other hand, the luxury cruise occupants frolicked and had a gala time on the private beach. They even set up a barbeque on the private area and ate to their heart’s content, whereas on the other hand, people are resorting to looting and arson, just for basic food.
Passengers were also divided on the decision, whether they ought to dock there or not. “I just can’t see myself sunning on the beach, playing in the water, eating a barbecue, and enjoying a cocktail while [in Port-au-Prince] there are tens of thousands of dead people being piled up on the streets, with the survivors stunned and looking for food and water,” said one passenger.
- Cruise Ship Docks In Labadee After Haiti Earthquake - Jan 23, 2010
- US Businesses hit hard by the Haiti earthquake - Jan 15, 2010
- Cruise Ship Carnival Splendor To Reach San Diego - Nov 11, 2010
- Gay cruise ship turned away by Morocco, goes to Spain - Jul 02, 2012
- World's biggest cruise ship 'Allure' set to sail - Sep 21, 2010
- Sarkozy offers Haiti millions in aid and debt relief - Feb 18, 2010
- Quake-hit Haiti airport now set to reopen - Feb 15, 2010
- Now cholera is creating havoc in Haiti, 250 died in the outbreak - Oct 25, 2010
- Jean-Bertrand Aristide returns to Haiti after a 7-years exile - Mar 19, 2011
- Disney Wonder ship reaches Costa Rica - Jan 15, 2011
- The Largest Cruise Terminal Of The World Open At Port Everglades - Nov 08, 2009
- Cholera toll in Haiti stands at 1,415 - Nov 24, 2010
- Fire Hit Carnival Splendor Being Rescued By Tug Boats - Nov 10, 2010
- 20 killed in Haiti road accident - Jul 29, 2010
- 100 UN staff among 'hundreds' killed in Haiti quake - Jan 13, 2010
Tags: arson, bad taste, barbecue, barbeque, caribbean cruise lines, damage control, earthquake, gala time, haiti port au prince, luxury cruise ship, medical facilities, necessities, occupants, port au prince, private area, private beach, relief material, royal caribbean cruise, royal caribbean cruise lines, true luxury