Court halts Jared Lee Loughner’s forced medicationJuly 6th, 2011 - 11:28 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Washington, July 6 (THAINDIAN NEWS) An appeal court has blocked the US government from forcefully giving anti-psychotic medication to the sole suspect in the Tucson shooting that nearly resulted in the death of US Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords.
Jared Lee Loughner is charged with shooting the Congresswoman and 18 others. The incident resulted in the death of about 8 people including a federal judge. Loughner is currently considered incompetent to stand trial because he has been diagnosed with the mental condition schizophrenia.
The U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals has ordered the US government to present a proof to the court indicating the necessity of the drug to the trial. The court also expects the government to convince it that the drug will not affect the suspect. The court has given the government up to the end of the day on Wednesday to make their submission. The defense team has also been given a similar ultimatum to present their case.
The appeal court’s decision reverses an earlier ruling by US District Judge Larry A. Burns who gave the government the power to force Loughner to take the medication because he was convinced that the suspect was dangerous.
Congresswoman Giffords’ survival of the attack is seen as a miracle by several people.
- Former US Congresswoman's shooter pleads guilty - Aug 08, 2012
- Arizona shooting suspect Jared Lee Loughner appears in court - Jan 11, 2011
- Tucson shooting suspect charged with murders of judge, congressional aide - Mar 05, 2011
- Loughner pleads 'not guilty' of shooting US Senator Giffords - Mar 10, 2011
- Handwritten note reveals plan to kill US congresswoman - Jan 10, 2011
- Arizona shooting suspect pleads 'not guilty' to three attempted murder charges - Jan 25, 2011
- Shot Congresswoman now singing, enjoying matzo ball soup - Mar 04, 2011
- Gabrielle Giffords' Aide Gabe Zimmerman Killed In Arizona Shooting - Jan 09, 2011
- U.S. Congresswoman Giffords taken off ventilator following procedure, remains critical - Jan 16, 2011
- Detained Arizona shooting suspect "planned to assassinate Giffords" - Jan 10, 2011
- Arizona Shooting Victim Gabrielle Giffords Responding To Commands, Doctors Say - Jan 10, 2011
- Arizona shooting suspect's parents apologise - Jan 12, 2011
- Clarence Dupnik Suspects Arizona Shooter Had An Accomplice - Jan 09, 2011
- Liberals blame Palin for Arizona shooting over Facebook comments against Giffords - Jan 10, 2011
- U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords Shot In Arizona - Jan 09, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,