Continental Flight 61 pilot dies mid flightJune 19th, 2009 - 1:11 pm ICT by John Le Fevre
Passengers on a Continental Airlines flight from Belgium to New Jersey had an uneventful landing, despite the flights 60-year-old pilot dyeing mid-flight.
Continental Flight 61, a Boeing 777 with 247 passengers onboard landed at New Jersey’s Newark Liberty International Airport shortly before 1200 (1600 GMT).
In a stroke of good fortune an additional relief co-pilot was traveling on the flight and assisted the flights co-pilot to land the plane.
Passengers reported a request over the inflight intercom about halfway through the flight but were not told that the pilot had died.
Dr. Julien Struyzen, a cardiologist and radiologist from Brussels on the flight, said he responded to the request for a doctor and went to the cockpit and examined the pilot. “He was not alive,” Dr Struyven said.
Dr Struyven said he suspected the pilot had suffered a cardiac arrest. He said he used a defibrillator to try and revive the pilot, but could not.
A fleet of fire trucks and medical emergency teams met the plane when it landed.
Steve Coleman, a spokesman for the New York and New Jersey Port Authority, said the FAA told Newark airport officials to have emergency crews standing by for the landing.
The plane landed without any problem, he said, and a medical examiner met the plane to help handle the situation.
- Plane makes emergency landing in Poland - Nov 02, 2011
- Indian American jailed for sexual abuse on plane - Aug 16, 2011
- Continental Airlines flight declares emergency after pilot dies - Jun 19, 2009
- Pilot locks himself in toilet of a New York bound flight - Nov 18, 2011
- JetBlue captain goes berserk on flight, subdued by passengers - Mar 29, 2012
- 12 killed in Philippines plane crash - Dec 10, 2011
- Air India flight turbulence leaves passengers injured, probe ordered - Jul 26, 2012
- Indian-American banker killed in New Jersey plane crash (Second Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- Co-pilot seat adjustment causes AI jet to plunge a terrifying 7,000-ft - Dec 02, 2010
- US passenger plane lands safely after pilot dies - Jun 19, 2009
- Alert women pilots save over 48 lives aboard Air India plane (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Alert pilots save 48 passengers aboard Air India plane (Second Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Continental Pilot Dies In Mid Flight - Jun 20, 2009
- Indian American banker dies in US plane crash (Third Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- Air India turbulence injures passengers, probe ordered (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: airport officials, boeing 777, cardiac arrest, cardiologist, co pilot, continental airlines, continental airlines flight, continental flight, emergency crews, fire trucks, flight passengers, good fortune, liberty international, medical emergency teams, mid flight, newark airport, newark liberty international airport, plane passengers, radiologist, steve coleman