Constance McMillen’s Dream Of Taking Her Lesbian Partner To Prom ThwartedMarch 12th, 2010 - 8:04 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Mississippi, Mar 12, (THAINDIAN NEWS) In a recent development that can enrage the LGBT community of USA, a Mississippi based school board has called off a high school prom event after one female student insisted that she would attend it with her lesbian partner. The student in question, Constance McMillen is 18 years old and she has a girl friend wearing a tuxedo. The board said on its part that the prom has been canceled owing to distractions caused to certain educational processes. When her school issued memo banning same sex dating, the student approached the school officials to allow her.
When she got the backing of the ACLU or American Civil Liberties Union, she got inspired and challenged the decision of the school board legally. She is a student of the Itawamba County Agricultural High School in Mississippi. As one can imagine Constance McMillen is quite upset and enraged with the decision taken by the school board. She reacted saying that the decision of the board to call off the prom altogether was nothing but an act of retaliation that should not be supported. She also said that a section of the students may hold her responsible for this fiasco.
The prom that has been canceled by the school board was slated to be held on April 2. However, the student is happy that her father has stood by her amidst the tension and conflict. GLSEN, which is an advocacy group based in Washington said that same-sex prom dates and cross dressing are turning out to be critical issues for many high schools in the USA.
- Two lesbians' planned prom date leads to prom cancellation - Mar 13, 2010
- Mississippi lesbian teen wins $35K lawsuit over cancelled prom - Jul 21, 2010
- School Bans Lesbian Partner From Prom, Taken To Court - Mar 13, 2010
- U.S. District Judge Says The Prom To Stay Cancelled But The Lesbian Teenager's Rights Infringed - Mar 24, 2010
- Lesbian student Constance McMillen awarded $35,000 as settlement over the cancellation of her prom - Jul 21, 2010
- Lesbian Teen Prom Case Wins Favor Of The Court - Mar 24, 2010
- Mississippi school prom canceled after a lesbian date request - Mar 12, 2010
- Federal judge hands over the verdict in the Mississippi Lesbian teen prom case - Mar 24, 2010
- US lesbian student wins right to wear tuxedo to senior school prom - Apr 02, 2011
- GLSEN Observes Day Of Silence - Apr 16, 2010
- Smoking ban leads to drop in heart attacks, finds US study - Nov 15, 2009
- Transgender Teen Challenges School Invalidating Vote for Homecoming King - Sep 29, 2010
- 90 year old woman going on her first prom date with her great-grandson - May 04, 2010
- Man finds wallet lost in school 50 years ago - May 01, 2011
- Campaigning for gay rights with Hillary Clinton - Jul 02, 2011
Tags: advocacy group, agricultural high school, american civil liberties, american civil liberties union, civil liberties union, constance, critical issues, cross dressing, distractions, educational processes, enrage, girl friend, glsen, itawamba county, lesbian partner, lgbt community, mcmillen, school officials, school prom, schools in the usa