Connecticut Home Invasion: Steven Hayes gets the death penaltyNovember 9th, 2010 - 12:50 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New Haven, Nov 8 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Steven Hayes has been sentenced to death for the 2007 killing of a woman and her two daughters. Steven was convicted of killing Jennifer Hawke-Petit and her two daughters Hayley and Michaela during a gruesome robbery that lasted seven hours.
After their deliberations, the jury returned the death sentence on Steven. He was found guilty and the jury returned the death sentence on all the charges. Steven was found guilty of killing Hawke-Petit and Michaela and Hayley in the course of a single action; killing a child under the age of 16; killing Hawke-Petit in the course of a kidnapping; killing Hayley in the course of a kidnapping; killing Michaela in the course of a kidnapping; and killing Hawke-Petit in the course of a sexual assault. All of these charges carry the death penalty and technically that means Steven has been sentenced to death six times.
The husband and father of the victims - Dr. William Petit Jr. showed a lot of emotions as the names of his wife and two children were read out. It ought to be mentioned that 47-year-old Steven broke into the house of the Petits with another man, Joshua Komisarjevsky. During the course of the home invasion which lasted seven hours, the accused persons ransacked the house in search of money and valuables and Jennifer was forced escorted to the bank by Hayes to withdraw money for them. When they left the house, Joshua sexually assaulted Michaela Petit who was just 11 years old.
When Hayes returned with Jennifer later, he raped her before strangling her to death. The pair later poured gasoline on the house and burnt it to the ground, killing Hayley and Michaela in the process. Doctors later certified that the pair died as a result of the smoke they inhaled into their body.
Joshua is still being tried for his role in the act.
- US serial killer gets death penalty - Aug 13, 2011
- Former Beauty Queen Kumari Fulbright Sentenced To Two Years In Prison For Kidnapping And Torturing Ex - Dec 10, 2010
- Hindu guru found guilty of molesting girls in US - Mar 07, 2011
- Former Beauty Queen Kumari Fulbright Sentenced To Prison - Dec 11, 2010
- Father-Son Duo Receive Death Sentence In Oregon Bank Bombing - Dec 23, 2010
- I did not kill Kercher: Knox tells court - Oct 03, 2011
- Wife lures men for sex to kill husband, jailed - Jul 31, 2012
- US military instructor jailed for rape - Jul 22, 2012
- Hudson's brother-in-law guilty for murder - May 12, 2012
- Found guilty, Indian American student faces deportation - Mar 17, 2012
- Matthew Hoffman killed 3 people & stuffed their bodies in a tree - Jan 08, 2011
- Rape victim's mother released from Chinese labour camp - Aug 10, 2012
- Former beauty queen jailed for kidnapping and torturing her ex - Dec 11, 2010
- Elizabeth Smart Kidnapping Trial Starting Soon - Nov 01, 2010
- Oz 'cannibal' sentenced to life imprisonment for murdering flatmate - Apr 04, 2011
Tags: 11 years, connecticut home invasion, death penalty, death sentence, deliberations, dr william petit jr, gasoline, hayley, jennifer hawke petit, joshua komisarjevsky, michaela petit, new haven, robbery, seven hours, sexual assault, single action, six times, steven hayes, two daughters, valuables