Colorado’s largest earthquake since 1967 damages homesAugust 23rd, 2011 - 5:38 pm ICT by BNO News
SEGUNDO, COLORADO (BNO NEWS) — A number of homes were damaged on late Monday evening when a moderate earthquake rocked southern Colorado, seismologists and officials said. There were no casualties.
The 5.3-magnitude earthquake at 11.46 p.m. local time (0546 GMT Tuesday) was centered about 4 miles (6 kilometers) south of Segundo, a small unincorporated community in Las Animas County. It struck about 2.5 miles (4 kilometers) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS).
The USGS estimated that several dozen people living in the area may have felt ‘very strong’ shaking, while more than 700 people were estimated to having perceived strong shaking. In addition, the USGS estimated that some 27,000 people may have felt light to moderate shaking.
A dispatcher for the Las Animas County Sheriff’s Office said a number of homes in Segundo had been damaged, but said there were no injuries. She also said there had been a rockslide on Highway 12.
Monday’s earthquake in Colorado was the largest in the state since a 5.3-magnitude earthquake was recorded near Denver on August 9, 1967. There was also an event in May 1973 which registered as 5.7 on the Richter scale, but the USGS said this was caused by an explosion and not an earthquake.
According to the USGS, Colorado is considered a region of minor earthquake activity, although there are many uncertainties because of the very short time period for which historical data is available. The northwestern and southwestern corners, and the Sangre de Cristo Mountains in the south-central section of the state, have had no activity in historic times. Eastern Colorado is nearly aseismic.
- Strong earthquake strikes the U.S. East Coast, widely felt - Aug 24, 2011
- Moderate earthquake rattles southwest Pakistan, destroys homes - Aug 10, 2011
- Strong earthquake rocks Papua New Guinea's New Britain, no reports of damage - Jun 16, 2011
- Moderate earthquake hits offshore northern California - Aug 16, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes central Peru, no casualties - Oct 29, 2011
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no tsunami warning - May 16, 2011
- Moderate earthquake jolts Japan's Honshu island - Sep 29, 2010
- Moderate earthquake rattles southeastern the Philippines, no damage - Dec 08, 2010
- Strong quake strikes Russia-Mongolia border region, no damage - Feb 27, 2012
- Powerful earthquakes hit Papua New Guinea, spark tsunami warning for Indonesia - Jul 18, 2010
- Strongest earthquake in years hits northwest of Norway, no damage - May 25, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - May 02, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes Russia's Far East near border with China - Oct 14, 2011
- Strong quake hits off southern Taiwan, no threat - Feb 15, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits northern Chile, no damage - Dec 09, 2011
Tags: bno, dispatcher, earthquake activity, eastern colorado, largest earthquake, las animas county, magnitude earthquake, minor earthquake, moderate earthquake, richter scale, rockslide, sangre de cristo, sangre de cristo mountains, segundo colorado, seismologists, shallow earthquake, southern colorado, unincorporated community, united states geological, united states geological survey