Clemency Denied To Teresa LewisSeptember 22nd, 2010 - 9:46 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Sep 22, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday decided to go ahead with the execution of Teresa Lewis. She is scheduled to be given the lethal injection on Thursday. Teresa Lewis was convicted for the murders of her husband and stepson. Her execution will be the first of a woman convict in the past five years. Teresa Lewis was convicted after it was found that she had provided sex and money to two people to kill her husband and stepson. The motive behind the murder was the quarter million dollar insurance payout that she would have received after the deaths. Her attorney had appealed to the court to stop her execution after he claimed that new evidence was found in favor of Teresa Lewis. He has argued that Teresa Lewis is a borderline retard and she was manipulated by the gunmen. According to the attorney the broken legal system was about to kill someone who was decent and good.
The case has received huge media attention as the West has often been seen revolting cases of execution in other countries. Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was quick to lash at the US Government after the news broke and said that the West was quick to start a campaign when it came to the case of an Iranian woman being sentenced to execution. He maintained reportedly that the United States failed to take action when it came to the case of Teresa Lewis.
Teresa Lewis pleaded guilty to two counts of capital murder for hire in the killings of her husband and her stepson. She had also, reportedly, offered herself and her 16 year old daughters for sex to the hired killers to get the job done.
- Teresa Lewis Executed For Murdering Her Husband And Stepson - Sep 24, 2010
- Growing resentment as Virginia to execute 'borderline mentally ill' woman - Sep 13, 2010
- Virginia to execute a woman for the first time in almost a century - Sep 12, 2010
- Teresa Lewis Denied Appeal - Sep 21, 2010
- Iranian woman could still be 'stoned to death' for adultery, murder, says Chief prosecutor - Sep 29, 2010
- Iran's 'stoning to death' woman 'was sold for sex to fund husband's drug addiction' - Dec 16, 2010
- Iranian woman, to be stoned to death, may get hanged - Dec 26, 2011
- Canada condemns Iran for planning Iranian woman's execution - Nov 03, 2010
- Iranian woman sentenced to death by stoning 'was sold for sex to fund husband's drug addiction' - Dec 16, 2010
- Ahmadinejad warns US attack on Iran could spark a war with "no limits" - Sep 22, 2010
- Iran woman facing stoning confesses to adultery in a video - Aug 13, 2010
- Iranian 'stoning to death' woman may be executed by Wednesday, claim HR observers - Nov 02, 2010
- Iranian mother sentenced to death by stoning - Jul 01, 2010
- Celebrities sign open letter urging Iran to release 'death by stoning' woman - Dec 14, 2010
- Woman jailed for plotting daughter's murder - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: capital murder, clemency, gunmen, insurance payout, iranian president mahmoud, iranian president mahmoud ahmadinejad, iranian woman, kar, killers, killings, lethal injection, mahmoud ahmadinejad, media attention, murders, new evidence, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, sex and money, stepson, teresa lewis, woman convict