Chincoteague Gears Up For Pony Swim On July 28July 28th, 2010 - 6:42 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Chincoteague, July 28, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The town of Chincoteague would bear a completely different look on Wednesday as thousands of people gather to witness the annual Chincoteague pony swim which is held every year at the Chincoteague Veterans Memorial Park. The popular event which reaches its 85th year this time around would showcase Chincoteague ponies crossing the Assateague Channel to the utter delight of the large number of spectators who assemble at the venue.
The organizers of the rather unusual event have stated that even this year an estimated 30,000 to 40,000 people are expected to attend the spectacular affair scheduled to be held today. After the herd of ponies complete the historic swim, they would be guided across to the carnival ground located nearby to be auctioned the next day. The ponies are put on sale every year in order to raise money for the Chincoteague Volunteer Fire Company, which takes care of the herd. While revealing details of the event, Roe Terry who has been associated with the fire company for the past 34 years stated that on the day of the auction as many as 1,000 people would be bidding for around 60 to 80 foals. In the meanwhile, all the ponies who do not get any bidders would again be looked after by the fire department and would be spending another year on the national wildlife refuge of Assateague.
During Wednesday’s event, around 150 stallions along with mares and their offspring would cross the channel from Assateague to Chincoteague while the pony which is the first to reach the shore is given the title of King or Queen Neptune.
- Eastern Shore To Commemorate The 85th 'Chincoteague Pony Swim' On July 28 - Jul 28, 2010
- Chincoteague Pony Swim event to be held today i.e. on the 28th of July - Jul 28, 2010
- Foetal loss could result from domestic horses mating with foreign stallions - Mar 30, 2011
- World's first cloned horse delivered - Jun 12, 2010
- Racehorses came from Europe, not Arabia - Oct 06, 2010
- Will India's indigenous horses trot into sunset? - Mar 21, 2012
- Amy Winehouse's dress sold for £43,200 - Nov 30, 2011
- Fire squad pulls racehorse from a swimming pool - Jul 20, 2011
- Irishman Paraic Casey dies while attempting to swim across the English Channel - Jul 23, 2012
- When Queen was offered horse sperm as gift - May 20, 2011
- Natalie Gulbis' body paint picture could boost her auction chances - Feb 17, 2012
- Year on, filthy CWG flats lie unoccupied - Sep 28, 2011
- Toying with ponies -- some horse sense this! - May 18, 2012
- France's Quadruple Amputee Philippe Croizon Crosses English Channel - Sep 21, 2010
- French want to ban people from swimming in the Channel - Nov 02, 2010
Tags: assateague channel, bidders, chincoteague ponies, chincoteague pony, chincoteague pony swim, chincoteague volunteer fire company, fire department, foals, gina gomez, mares, memorial park, national wildlife refuge, queen neptune, roe, spectacular affair, spectators, stallions, utter delight, veterans memorial park, volunteer fire company