China earthquake toll rises to 2,192April 24th, 2010 - 12:39 am ICT by BNO News
BEIJING (BNO NEWS) — The death toll from last week’s devastating earthquake in northwest China’s Qinghai Province rose to 2,192 on Friday, state media reported.
The state-run Xinhua news agency reported that 78 others remain missing after the earthquake, which also injured 12,135 others. At least 1,434 were in a serious condition at the time.
The 7.1-magnitude earthquake happened last Wednesday at 7.49 a.m. local time and was centered about 18.6 miles (30 kilometers) from Jiegu Township, the government seat of Yushu Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture.
Qinghai has received more than 722 million yuan (105.7 million U.S. dollars) in donations as of Friday, according to the provincial department of civil affairs. This includes 328 million yuan in cash and 394 million yuan worth of supplies, the department said, according to Xinhua.
It said 1,363 tonnes of food, 87,476 boxes of bottled water, 27,842 tents and 130,876 quilts have been delivered to the quake-hit Yushu Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture.
A television charity show broadcast nationwide by China Central Television Tuesday evening alone raised 2.175 billion yuan (320 million U.S. dollars) to help quake victims of last week’s earthquake.
- China earthquake toll rises to 2,183 deaths - Apr 21, 2010
- China quake toll rises to 2,039 - Apr 20, 2010
- 7.1 magnitude quake kills 67 in China's Tibetan Autonomous Region - Apr 14, 2010
- China mourns quake victims (Lead) - Apr 21, 2010
- 67 die in China earthquake (Second Lead) - Apr 14, 2010
- Western China quake toll rises to 589 - Apr 15, 2010
- China quake toll rises to 2,203 - Apr 25, 2010
- 23 killed in China earthquake (Lead) - Apr 14, 2010
- China quake toll rises to 1,484 - Apr 18, 2010
- 1,350 aftershocks recorded after China quake - Apr 22, 2010
- China quake toll rises to 1,944 - Apr 19, 2010
- China quake toll rises to 1,144 - Apr 17, 2010
- China to restore quake-hit Tibetan monasteries - Oct 16, 2011
- China nationally to mourn quake victims Wednesday - Apr 20, 2010
- Blizzard hits China quake-devastated zone - Apr 22, 2010
Tags: bno, bottled water, china central television, china earthquake, civil affairs, death toll, devastating earthquake, government seat, kilometers, magnitude earthquake, northwest china, provincial department, qinghai province, quake victims, quilts, tibetan autonomous prefecture, tonnes, tuesday evening, xinhua news agency, yuan