Chile’s Robinson Crusoe Island delugedFebruary 28th, 2010 - 12:47 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Santiago, Feb 27 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Chile was hit by a massive earthquake of magnitude 8.8 today. After the earthquake, tsunami warnings have been issued for Hawaii, Australia, New Zealand and Pacific island nations. High tidal waves are expected to reach Easter Island, so it is being evacuated. However the Robinson Crusoe Island, which is an integral part of the Juan Fernandez Archipelago, has already been deluged. It was reported that Chile’s Robinson Crusoe Island has already been smashed by huge waves, after the massive earthquake. Chile’s Robinson Crusoe Island is a very remote island, and it is located around 700 kilometers from the mainland.
The Chilean President Michelle Bachelet announced that 2 ships with relief material have already been dispatched to the Robinson Crusoe Island. Apart from this, a partial evacuation of the Easter Island is already in progress. This island has over 4000 inhabitants. “High tidal waves could reach Easter Island. Because of that we are evacuating people living in low-lying areas.” President Michelle Bachelet said.
It may be recalled that a massive earthquake struck in the morning at 0634 GMT about 115km (70 miles) northeast of the city of Concepcion, and 325km southwest of the capital, Santiago.
- Tsunami hits Chile after 8.8-magnitude quake, toll 78(Fifth Lead) - Feb 27, 2010
- More than 300 dead in massive Chilean earthquake (Third Lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Chile quake toll reaches 711, 90 aftershocks (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2010
- More than 140 killed in Chile quake (Lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Chile quake toll rises to 708, emergency declared (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2010
- Chile earthquake toll rises to 300, two million overall affected - Feb 28, 2010
- 8.8 magnitude Chile earthquake - Death Toll at 76 - Feb 27, 2010
- At least 47 dead, many injured after massive 8.8-magnitude earthquake in Chile (Update) - Feb 27, 2010
- Toll in quake at least 16: Chilean president (Second Lead) - Feb 27, 2010
- 12-year-old girl warned Chilean islanders of tidal waves - Mar 02, 2010
- UN chief visits Chilean city hit by quake - Mar 07, 2010
- More than 700 dead in Chile quake, tsunami - Mar 01, 2010
- Chile officials to be charged for botched tsunami alert - Feb 11, 2012
- Santiago Airport damaged - closed for 24 hours - Feb 27, 2010
- Chile quake toll rises to 82 - Feb 28, 2010
Tags: chilean president michelle bachelet, easter island, gmt, huge waves, inhabitants, juan fernandez archipelago, kilometers, magnitude, mainland, massive earthquake, michelle bachelet, news chile, partial evacuation, president michelle bachelet, relief material, robinson crusoe island, s robinson, santiago, tidal waves, tsunami warnings