Chilean President Sebastian Pinera says that 33 miners are still alive in the shelterAugust 23rd, 2010 - 11:00 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Santiago, Aug 23 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The Chilean President gave the whole country a nice surprise when he said on Sunday that the trapped miners had sent a note through a borehole to confirm that none of the 33 had died.
He said that the note said that all the 33 miners were alive. It ought to be mentioned that the unlucky miners had been working at the San Jose gold and copper mine located 500 miles north of Santiago, in a town called Copiapo. The miners were around 2300 feet under the surface of the earth when the surface of the mine collapsed inwards. The noises of the miners’ hammers attracted rescue workers to their location.
The head of the rescue mission - Andres Sougarret said it could take at least 4 months to rescue the mineworkers. An underground camera sent down the hole showed the men were shirtless and sweating profusely.
The miners came near the camera to show their faces and the Chilean President said that it showed that the miners were looking forward to a rescue attempt.
Chileans were in a celebratory mood when news came around that none of the miners had passed away and many drivers were seen making noises with their horns.
- Miners' rescue will take months, says Chile - Aug 24, 2010
- Drilling of rescue shaft for Chilean miners delayed - Aug 29, 2010
- Chilean miners' rescue shaft hits problem - Sep 02, 2010
- Trapped Chile miner writes poem on his experience - Sep 04, 2010
- Trapped Chilean miners may be too fat to fit through escape hole by Xmas - Aug 26, 2010
- Chilean Miners Are Expected To Be Rescued This Weekend - Oct 07, 2010
- Chilean miners accuse President Pinera of failing to keep 'medical care deal' - Jan 05, 2011
- Chile set to launch final operation to free trapped miners - Oct 06, 2010
- Chile 'Miracle 33' miners to start souvenir brand - Jul 30, 2012
- Trapped Chilean miner is blessed with a daughter - Sep 15, 2010
- Chilean miners contemplated cannibalism - Feb 11, 2011
- Trapped Chilean miners could be freed by November - Sep 17, 2010
- Chilean rescuers reinforce lifeline to send food to trapped miners - Aug 23, 2010
- Five minutes to midnight: Chile shows the way (Comment) - Oct 15, 2010
- Trapped Chile miner to miss baby's birth - Aug 30, 2010
Tags: 4 months, borehole, celebratory mood, chilean president, chileans, copper mine, earth, faces, gold, horns, mineworkers, nice surprise, rescue attempt, rescue mission, santiago, sebastian pinera, trapped miners, underground camera