Ceausescu’s Remains Exhumed For DNA TestJuly 22nd, 2010 - 7:31 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Bucharest, Romania, July 22, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Exhumation of what is believed to be the remains of former dictator Nicolae Ceausescu and his wife were carried out by a group of scientists in Romania in order to test the DNA samples of the Royal family. The scientists have reported that the request for the bodies to be exhumed was made by the descendants of the Ceausescu family as they wanted to determine whether it was really the couple’s bodies which was buried at the Ghencea cemetery in Bucharest.
Nicolae Ceausescu ruled over Romania during the 1960s. When the dictator was toppled from his position during the Romanian Revolution in 1989, he and his wife were killed and buried in an unknown military cemetery. The couple went to their graves untraced, their whereabouts remaining a mystery for many a historian in years following their death.
It is Nicolae Ceausescu’s son and his son in law who have now ordered for a DNA test to be performed in order to ascertain whether the bodies that are believed to be the dictator’s and his wife’s really belongs to them or not. The exhumation which was conducted yesterday,was attended by pathology officials who collected samples to conduct the required test.
Gelu Voican-Voiculesc, a former government official who had come to power after removing Nicolae Ceausescu from power says that he had been present at the time of burial post the 1989 Revolution and that he was sure of the fact that the DNA samples will also prove that he is right. Mircea Oprean also voiced his thoughts saying that he instantly recognized his father in law’s winter coat when the grave was reopened.
- Bodies of the Romanian dictator Nicolae Ceausescu & his wife exhumed - Jul 22, 2010
- Romanian women endured 22 million abortions after ex-dictator's ban on contraception - Feb 24, 2011
- Former chess champion Bobby Fisher's remains to be exhumed to settle a paternity dispute - Jun 18, 2010
- Exhume unmarked grave in Kashmir: Rights panel - Jul 05, 2012
- Titanic's 'unknown child's' identity finally revealed - Apr 27, 2011
- Holocaust-Era Mass Grave Found In Romania - Nov 07, 2010
- 'Unknown child' onboard the Titanic identified - Apr 29, 2011
- DNA test urged to determine if Lincoln's assassin escaped death - Dec 28, 2010
- Bobby Fischer's Remains Exhumed For DNA Test - Jul 06, 2010
- Body of chess master Bobby Fischer exhumed in paternity row - Jul 06, 2010
- Holocaust Era Mass Grave Unearthed, Shocks The World - Nov 07, 2010
- First World War soldier identified by DNA laid to rest, 94 years on - Apr 22, 2010
- Remains of Hitler's deputy to be destroyed - Jul 21, 2011
- Mass grave from Holocaust era found in Romania - Nov 06, 2010
- WWII Assam cemetery being dug for Japanese troops' remains - Jan 19, 2012
Tags: 1960s, bucharest romania, descendants, dictator nicolae ceausescu, dna samples, dna test, exhumation, former dictator, gina gomez, government official, historian, military cemetery, mystery, oprean, pathology, romanian revolution, royal family, scientists, winter coat