Ceara Sturgis Fighting For Her Consitutional Rights In Mississippi SchoolOctober 16th, 2009 - 6:06 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Jackson, Miss., Oct. 16, (THAINDIAN NEWS) 17 year old Ceara Sturgis has shown immense courage in her fight against individual expression of freedom, when she took up to challenge the authorities in her high school recently. It has always been known in the school that Ceara is a lesbian solely for the fact that she never ever did try to hide the truth about her personal identity. An honor student in school, she is also a part of her school soccer team, besides being a talented trumpet player. All these aspects however went unnoticed by the school.
Her lesbian status almost looked like a generally well accepted fact around school, until the day of the year-book photographs came up. As Ceara feels more comfortable donning the clothes worn by men, she had requested her school to allow her to wear a tuxedo for the photo session. It was then that the scene turned a little ugly.
According to the school tradition, it is necessary for the girls to wear elaborate dresses or gowns. The boys are supposed to wear the tuxedos. When Ceara put up her request, the school authorities almost hightailed at the notion and played down her wish.
Instead of giving up in meek surrender, Ceara has chosen to fight back against this sort of injustice that has been meted out her way; and guiding her all along is her mother, Veronica Rodriguez. According to Veronica, it seems unjust to not take in to consideration someone’s constitutional rights. Says she, “The tux is who she is. She wears boy’s clothes. She’s athletic. She’s gay. She’s not feminine.”
- US lesbian student wins right to wear tuxedo to senior school prom - Apr 02, 2011
- Confused Beth Ditto avoided make-up in school - May 14, 2012
- Mississippi lesbian teen wins $35K lawsuit over cancelled prom - Jul 21, 2010
- Ritika Bhasin offers multi-purpose trousseau (With Images) - Feb 04, 2012
- Designing for 'Cocktail' was easy: Anaita Shroff (With Image) - Jul 08, 2012
- UK parents worried over US-style prom night for 10-yr-olds - Jul 24, 2010
- Simon, Dannii had an affair - Apr 15, 2012
- School Bans Lesbian Partner From Prom, Taken To Court - Mar 13, 2010
- Two lesbians' planned prom date leads to prom cancellation - Mar 13, 2010
- Lesbian student Constance McMillen awarded $35,000 as settlement over the cancellation of her prom - Jul 21, 2010
- I'm not a pink girl: Saldana - May 15, 2012
- Stewart bullied for hairy legs - Jun 26, 2012
- Federal judge hands over the verdict in the Mississippi Lesbian teen prom case - Mar 24, 2010
- Lesbian Teen Prom Case Wins Favor Of The Court - Mar 24, 2010
- Eva Longoria 'pops out of her plunging jacket' during cookbook promo - Apr 08, 2011
Tags: consitutional rights, constitutional rights, day of the year, gina gomez, gowns, immense courage, individual expression, injustice, mississippi school, personal identity, photo session, school authorities, school soccer team, school tradition, trumpet player, tux, tuxedo, tuxedos, veronica rodriguez, year book