Cancer charity cyclists flat over tack attack in Etape CaledoniaMay 18th, 2009 - 2:31 am ICT by John Le Fevre
More than 500 cyclists in the UKs most popular long-distance amateur cycling event, the Étape Caledonia, received punctures today after protesters spread thousands of carpet tacks over sections of the course.
The third annual 81-mile (130.35km) charity ride around the Pitlochry Highlands in Perthsire, central Scotland, raises funds for the Macmillan cancer charity and attracted 3,700 cyclists this year.
However a group of local residents object to the race - the only event in Britain in which the entire route is closed to traffic – and formed a protest group to try and have the race stopped..
In a website posting before the event, the Against Closed Road Events (Acre) group said it was not organizing any formal protest, but offered legal advice to those who wished to obstruct the road or take similar action.
Tayside police are investigating what they termed a “reckless and irresponsible” stunt, which saw the race stopped for about 90 minutes. Police said they were following “a positive line of inquiry” but declined to say if this was connected to Acre.
Named after the French word for stage, Étape events are based on the Étape du Tour, which sees thousands of amateur riders follow the route of a Tour de France stage, and are generally long and hilly with the Pertshire event seeing cyclists climb a combined distance of almost 2,000 meters (over 6,500-feet).
- Sabotage mars stage 14 of Tour de France - Jul 16, 2012
- 120 top riders for Delhi Cyclothon - Oct 06, 2011
- 6,000 participate in BSA Hercules India Cyclothon (With Images) - Apr 24, 2011
- Paes, Nicole Faria to ride in BSA Hercules India Cyclothon (With Images) - Apr 21, 2011
- Queen congratulates Tour de France winner Bradley Wiggins - Jul 24, 2012
- Istanbul holds world's only intercontinental marathon - Oct 16, 2011
- Pedalling 1,000 km to popularise cycling - Dec 14, 2010
- Chandigarh set to host India Cyclothon Sunday - Sep 25, 2010
- Harpreet Singh wins Elite Race at Hero Delhi Cyclothon - Oct 09, 2011
- 6,000 cyclists pedal in Chandigarh - Sep 26, 2010
- Kenyan and Ethiopian runners win Istanbul marathon - Oct 17, 2011
- Brown Arran wins Cyclothon, Moniton Singh fastest Indian (Roundup) - Aug 29, 2010
- Himalayan cycling expedition begins Sep 30 - Sep 19, 2011
- Indian cyclists not invited for Tour de Pakistan in retaliation against IPL snub - Feb 23, 2010
- Athletes, cyclists to take Delhi CWG to the streets - Oct 08, 2010
Tags: amateur riders, caledonia, cancer charity, carpet tacks, central scotland, cyclists, formal protest, french word, legal advice, line of inquiry, long distance, macmillan cancer, pitlochry, protest group, protesters, tack attack, tour de france, traffic, uks