Canary Islands fire threatens heritage siteAugust 7th, 2012 - 7:20 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Canary Islands, Aug 7 (THAINDIAN NEWS) There was a fire outbreak in Canary Island, which is located in Spain. This incident occurred on Monday and it affected several homes and a national park.
The fire was at peak and it was hard to control it. Difficulties in stopping it were enhanced by the deep ravines. It all started on a Saturday and the wildfire covered 3000 hectares of land. Ravines were acting as chimneys for the fire but their efforts were discouraged by the strong winds, which caused the fire to spread more.
The fire incident happened in the Garajonay area which is a UN cultural body. Garajonay is an area which is covered by subtropical forest and it was the main reason as to why it was added in the UNESCO’s world Heritage list. The disaster was not only considered as the national tragedy but the United Nations felt the impact of the loss as well. Stopping the fire was still made impossible by the effect of fog which prevented aircraft firefighters.
Many communication lines pass through the forest and therefore communication was disrupted by the fire outbreak. Reports say that there are no clear evaluations of the exact number of people who were victimized by the tragedy. However, efforts are clearly made to make sure that the wildfire is stopped.
- Fires ravage 20,000 hectares of Himachal forests in two months (With Images) - Jun 28, 2012
- Russia's Siberia region hit by wildfires - Jul 30, 2012
- Over 1,200 firefighters battle New Mexico's largest ever wildfire - Jun 04, 2012
- 40,000 Russian firefighters to lose jobs - Jul 10, 2012
- 22 killed in China wildfire (Lead) - Dec 06, 2010
- Hundreds flee wildfires in Spain - Apr 27, 2008
- Organic polymer protects burnt forest soil - Dec 23, 2011
- Texas wildfires destroy more than 1500 homes - Sep 12, 2011
- Wildfires ravage Russian villages - Apr 21, 2012
- Russian helicopter crashes in southwestern Turkey, killing 5 - Aug 12, 2012
- Canada Fire Spreads Alarm In Neighboring US States - Jun 01, 2010
- Texas man rescued after becoming stuck in chimney - Nov 29, 2011
- Firefighters work to contain California blazes - Aug 18, 2009
- State of Emergency declared as Arizona wildfires burn over 200,000 acres - Jun 07, 2011
- Texas battles new wildfires as extreme drought continues - Sep 02, 2011
Tags: canary island, canary islands, chimneys, communication lines, disaster, evaluations, exact number, fire incident, firefighters, fog, hectares, national tragedy, outbreak reports, ravines, spain, strong winds, unesco, united nations, wildfire, world heritage list