Californian Gov signs law on Male circumcision banOctober 3rd, 2011 - 7:25 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
California, Oct 3 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Attempts by an advocacy group in California to outlaw male circumcision has failed after Gov. Jerry Brown signed a unique bill to law on Sunday. The new law comes into force instantly and it prohibits any local government level in the state including cities from banning the age-old practice of male circumcision.
An advocacy group pressured authorities in the San Francisco Bay Area this summer to ban the practice of male circumcision in the city. When the attempt was challenged at a California Superior Court, the judge ruled that the practice of circumcision cannot be banned in the city.
The judge said the issue should not appear on the city’s ballot papers in a special ballot this November because male circumcision is a medical practice and no city in the state could ban it unilaterally. The ruling gave the right to modify the practice to the state and not the individual cities in the state.
Under the new law, the cities and the various levels of local government don’t have the right to restrict the practice of circumcision. The new legislation “declares that the laws affecting male circumcision must have uniform application throughout the state.”
- Germany's circumcision ban 'worst attack on Jews' - Jul 13, 2012
- Male circumcision ban to appear on San Francisco ballot - May 19, 2011
- Schwarzenegger backs gay marriage - Aug 07, 2010
- Gay marriages can resume in California - Aug 13, 2010
- Federal judge overturns California gay marriage ban (Lead, changing dateline) - Aug 05, 2010
- First same-sex marriages conducted in Washington - Mar 10, 2010
- California allows same sex marriage - Aug 05, 2010
- US state bars political hopeful for poor English - Feb 09, 2012
- German circumcision ruling raises hue and cry - Jul 12, 2012
- Prop 16 Fate Not Clear Yet - Jun 09, 2010
- Federal district court rules California gay marriage ban unconstitutional - Aug 05, 2010
- The Pronouncement Of The Judge In California On The Legalization Of Sex-Same Unions Is Ready For Release - Aug 04, 2010
- Federal judge rules against 'Sharia law' restrictions in Oklahoma Constitution - Nov 30, 2010
- US civil liberties groups back Sikh rights - Jan 28, 2011
- Gay judge overturns California's same-sex marriage ban - Aug 05, 2010
Tags: advocacy group, attempts, authorities, ballot papers, california superior court, californian, francisco bay area, government level, jerry brown, local government, male circumcision, medical practice, new legislation, outlaw, san francisco bay, san francisco bay area, signs, uniform application