California Voters Renounce Proposition 19 To Legalize PotNovember 4th, 2010 - 7:25 pm ICT by GD
By Madhuri Dey
San Francisco, Nov 4, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The initiative of the supporters of Proposition 19 to legalize marijuana in the state of California received a major setback on Tuesday when it was rejected by the voters. The proposal to legalize the sale and the recreational use of marijuana which was titled Regulate, Control and Tax Cannabis Act, would have enabled the local government to permit commercial cultivation of marijuana as well as the use and sale of pot in establishments which had the proper license.
As per Proposition 19, individuals aged 21 or above would be permitted to carry about an ounce of marijuana, consume pot in nonpublic places in the absence of children and at the same time would also be permitted to grow marijuana in private lands. The supporters of the proposal have reiterated that legalization of pot would indeed be a sensible although unprecedented move which would have played a significant role in providing the state of California with a much-needed revenue and would also decrease marijuana related arrests that according to them targets minority youngsters. Meanwhile, the outcome of Tuesday’s voting has come as a huge relief to the opponents of Proposition 19 with many of them hailing the decision of voters to reject the proposal as a moral victory.
Although the results of Tuesday’s voting has indeed come as a huge disappointment to the proponents of Proposition 19, it is surely not going to be enough to dissuade them. A day after the 54%-to-46% defeat, the supporters of the proposal to legalize pot are again starting their efforts from the scratch to return to the ballot in two years.
- Proposition 19 To Take Effect Or Receive A Setback? - Nov 02, 2010
- Former Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders All For Legalization Of Pot - Oct 19, 2010
- Former Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders Says to Legalize Pot - Oct 19, 2010
- California Citizens Reject Proposition 19 - Nov 03, 2010
- Marijuana use in California may double if legal: Study - Jul 08, 2010
- Former Surgeon General Jocelyn Elders supports legalized pot - Oct 19, 2010
- Barbara Boxer's Aide Arrested For Pot Possesion - Sep 10, 2010
- Former Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders Supports Pot Legalization - Oct 19, 2010
- Actor Zach Galifianakis smokes marijuana on TV in support of Prop 19 - Nov 02, 2010
- Victory For Medical Marijuana Advocates, Pot Now Legal In DC - May 05, 2010
- Cash-strapped Spanish town authorises cannabis plantation - Mar 02, 2012
- Prop 23 Gets A Thumbs Down From Voters - Nov 03, 2010
- Oakland set to become 'Silicon Valley of Pot' - Jul 21, 2010
- Pot cola, sodas coming to medical marijuana dispensaries - Jan 30, 2011
- Breckenridge Citizens Legalize Pot, Law Meant Only For Adults - Nov 05, 2009
Tags: california voters, commercial cultivation, cultivation of marijuana, dey, disappointment, establishments, legalization of pot, local government, madhuri, major setback, moral victory, opponents, ounce of marijuana, private lands, proponents, recreational use of marijuana, state of california, unprecedented move, use of marijuana, youngsters