California school closed as officials investigate suspected swine flu caseApril 27th, 2009 - 10:55 am ICT by admin
Fair Oaks, CALIFORNIA (BNO NEWS) – Health officials are investigating a suspected swine flu case at a Fair Oaks elementary school in California, health officials told BNO News on Sunday evening.
“Essentially it’s a possible case, a teenage student at a Fair Oaks school,” Kerry Shearer said, who is a spokesman for the Sacramento County Division of Public Health. The teenager, who is a student at St. Mel’s School, had recently came in contact with several people who visited Mexico and became ill.
“The student was tested and it was of an influenza type that could not be sub typed,” Shearer said. The samples have now been sent to the CDC to confirm or rule out swine flu. The CDC is expected to receive the samples on Monday morning but it can take several days before the results are known.
Because of the suspected case, a county health officer recommended that the school should be closed until there are no new cases of respiratory illness. About 275 students attend the school and none of them have so far reported illness, the principal of the school has agreed with to close the school. Health officials will monitor the students for the next days.
Shearer said the school will likely not reopen before Thursday. He could not provide details on the teenager to protect his or her identity.
“The symptoms were mild and that’s what we’ve seen in the U.S. so far, just mild symptoms unlike in Mexico where it has been more serious,” the spokesman added.
Meanwhile, WTOL-TV reports that officials are investigating a person with swine flu symptoms in Wood County, Ohio.
- Swine flu case confirmed at North California school - Apr 28, 2009
- Mexican swine flu outbreak kills 29, infects nearly 1,500 - Jan 28, 2012
- Up to 200 possibly infected with swine flu at Queens high school - Apr 26, 2009
- Kansas reports first confirmed cases of swine flu - Apr 26, 2009
- FDA, CDC, and Costco warn of Bravo Farms cheese product due to E. coli outbreak - Nov 05, 2010
- NY Gov. Paterson activates health emergency preparedness plan; puts state on high alert - Apr 27, 2009
- CDC confirms three new swine flu cases in Iowa - Nov 25, 2011
- Investigation of New York City Swine Flu Cluster Continues; Symptoms Remain Mild - Apr 28, 2009
- Swine flu spreading rapidly in Andhra, toll 20 - Aug 05, 2010
- Governor Paterson directs state health department to monitor possible swine flu cases - Apr 26, 2009
- Woman diagnosed with swine flu in Bhopal - Apr 21, 2011
- Swine Influenza in the United States - Apr 26, 2009
- Goa on alert after Pune swine flu outbreak - Mar 24, 2012
- Key Facts about Swine Influenza (Swine Flu) - Apr 26, 2009
- 81 Mexicans die of swine flu - Feb 12, 2012
Tags: bno, california health officials, california school, cdc, county health officer, fair oaks california, fair oaks elementary school, fair oaks school, flu symptoms, influenza type, kerry shearer, mild symptoms, news on sunday, respiratory illness, sacramento county, school health, sunday evening, swine flu, teenage student, tv reports