California man sentenced to four years in jail for criminal copyright infringementDecember 15th, 2010 - 2:49 am ICT by BNO News
SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA (BNO NEWS) — A 55-year-old California man was sentenced to four years in prison for running a company that engaged in selling copies of software and entertainment over the course of several years, prosecutors said on Tuesday.
Julius Chow Lieh Liu of El Cerrito, a city in Contra Costa County, had been convicted by a federal grand jury in June for criminal copyright infringement and trafficking in counterfeit labels. During the trial, evidence showed that Liu had engaged through his company, SuperDVD, in the large scale infringement of thousands of copies of Symantec software, music CD’s and movie DVD’s over the course of several years.
Liu was initially indicted on November 29, 2006 and was charged with replicating and/or selling thousands of counterfeit copies of Norton Anti-Virus, music CD’s which included the Beatles and DVD’s of ‘Crouching Tiger’ and ‘Hidden Dragon.’
The sentence was handed down by U.S. District Court Judge James Ware following a jury trial on three counts in violation of criminal copyright infringement and one count of trafficking in counterfeit labels. Besides the 48 month jail sentence, judge Ware also sentenced Liu to a three-year period of supervised release.
Liu currently remains free on a $500,000 surety bond and is scheduled to start serving his sentence on February 14, 2011.
- Apple awarded $1 bn in patent fight with Samsung - Aug 25, 2012
- New York Man guilty for selling pirated computer software - Feb 26, 2010
- Hollywood sues Indian American for selling films online - Apr 05, 2011
- Chinese writers target App Store - Mar 20, 2012
- Amended Chinese law says organ traffickers will get death penalty - Feb 24, 2011
- Google's plan to publish books online blocked by US court - Mar 23, 2011
- Wikipedia, Google join anti-piracy bill protest (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Court acts on Microsoft plea on software piracy - Jun 16, 2012
- Illinois resident sentenced for his part in an online software piracy ring - Aug 19, 2009
- Computer piracy thrives here, but no complaints! - Mar 28, 2011
- Beware of attack tool kits from malicious websites: Symantec - Jan 25, 2011
- Former Orange County, FL investigator sentenced for child pornography - Jan 16, 2010
- Chinese jailed for selling 70,000 pirated maps - Jan 11, 2012
- Two men indicted in Texas for distributing counterfeit pharmaceuticals - Feb 27, 2010
- China customs seizes 4,500 fake items - Apr 22, 2011
Tags: bno, california man, contra costa county, copyright infringement, crouching tiger and hidden dragon, district court judge, el cerrito, federal grand jury, jail sentence, judge james, jury trial, norton anti virus, old california, san jose california, software music, superdvd, supervised release, surety bond, trial evidence, virus music