California gays wait on marriage annulment news from Supreme CourtMay 26th, 2009 - 10:49 pm ICT by John Le Fevre
Tens of thousands of gay couples throughout California are anxiously awaiting a decision today by the California Supreme Court in a series of lawsuits seeking to overturn November’s Proposition 8 which could also see their marriages annulled.
If the seven-member court upholds the initiative as a constitutional expression of the electorate’s will, it also will be deciding whether to sustain the marriages of an estimated 18,000 gay couples who wed before the measure passed with 52 per cent of the vote.
Proposition 8 superseded the Supreme Court’s May 2008 ruling that legalized same-sex unions by changing the state constitution to outlaw them.
In that 4-3 decision, the court majority invalidated California’s marriage statutes, holding that denying same-sex couples the right to wed amounted to state-sanctioned discrimination.
However, skeptical questions raised during oral arguments have led legal experts to doubt the same four justices would undermine California’s powerful citizen initiative process by invalidating the new ban.
Kate Kendell, executive director of the National Center for Lesbian Rights, said, “many of us are heading into Tuesday filled with both hope and determination.”
Gay rights advocates have scheduled marches throughout California and in several other states for this evening to either celebrate or protest the court’s rulings.
Frank Schubert, who managed the successful Yes on 8 campaign, said, supporters have not planned any organized events to accompany the decision.
“If the court were to go as far as throwing it out, saying the people do not have the power to amend their constitution, then they are going to have to ultimately answer to the people.”
- California Federal Judge Vaughn Walker Overturns Proposition 8 - Aug 05, 2010
- California Supreme Court blocks same-sex marriage - upholds Prop 8 - May 27, 2009
- US court puts debate on same-sex marriage on hold again - Aug 17, 2010
- Gay judge overturns California's same-sex marriage ban - Aug 05, 2010
- Federal judge overturns California gay marriage ban (Lead, changing dateline) - Aug 05, 2010
- Schwarzenegger backs gay marriage - Aug 07, 2010
- Gay marriages can resume in California - Aug 13, 2010
- California Governor Schwarzenegger applauds lifting of ban against same-sex marriage - Aug 13, 2010
- California governor quietly signs same-sex marriage bill - Oct 13, 2009
- The Pronouncement Of The Judge In California On The Legalization Of Sex-Same Unions Is Ready For Release - Aug 04, 2010
- California allows same sex marriage - Aug 05, 2010
- Prop 8 Stay Ending, So Gay Couples Can Marry In California! - Aug 13, 2010
- Gay marriage not a human right: European ruling - Mar 21, 2012
- George Takei celebrates new ruling over gay marriage - Aug 06, 2010
- Mexican Supreme Court upholds gay marriages - Aug 12, 2010
Tags: ban kate, california supreme court, citizen initiative, court majority, electorate, frank schubert, gay couples, gay rights advocates, kate kendell, legal experts, lesbian rights, marriage annulment, marriage statutes, member court, oral arguments, outlaw, same sex couples, same sex unions, skeptical questions, state constitution