California Earthquake Leaves Little ImpactMarch 17th, 2010 - 6:51 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
California, Mar 17, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The US Geological Survey registered a quake with the intensity of 4.4, that struck Los Angeles. It was felt in San Diego as well. The Earthquake hit California in the wee hours of the morning, 4 a.m to be precise. The quake did not result in any injury or casualty as sources have revealed. No severe damage to any property has been reported either. The quake was not very strong, though the shaking effect was felt by a number of residents. Some of the residents woke up in their bed when they found the floor below them was shaking mildly.
The Los Angeles fire department representatives said that everything was okay after the Quake and no incident of power outage was reported. However, seismologists have not ruled out the possibility of an aftershock. The quake left its mark on a stretch of road though. A road buckled in the downtown Downey region. However, the road stretch was weakened by regular wear and tear and the quake made it buckle, as preliminary investigation has found. While the quake that hit California left almost no impact, it made the residents alert as they recalled the devastating quakes that hit Haiti and Chile in recent times and wrecked havoc with the public life in those places.
Los Angeles has the possibility of being hit by quakes since it is located in the famous Pacific Ring of Fire. In the past, California witnessed several significant quakes and the San Andreas Fault line is a vulnerability for the region. It can bring the next big quake for California.
- Earthquake Hits Los Angeles, WWE Smackdown Still On As Planned - Mar 17, 2010
- 30 aftershocks cause panic in Mexico, toll reaches two (Second Lead) - Apr 06, 2010
- 6.5 Magnitude Quake Hits Eureka - Jan 10, 2010
- Southern California Rattled By 5.4 Earthquake On July 7, 2010 - Jul 08, 2010
- One dead, many trapped in 7.2-magnitude Mexico quake - Apr 05, 2010
- Powerful 7.2-magnitude earthquake rocks U.S. - Mexico border; at least 2 dead - Apr 05, 2010
- Vanuatu Earthquake Will Not Cause Tsunami - May 28, 2010
- California rattled by 3.6 earthquake - Aug 25, 2011
- California Hit By Strong Earthquake - Dec 31, 2009
- California earthquake shakes Los Angeles to San Diego - May 18, 2009
- Moderate earthquake rattles U.S.-Mexico border, no damage - Dec 11, 2010
- New Earthquake Strikes San Diego On Monday - Apr 06, 2010
- Damage reported after magnitude-7.6 earthquake hits Costa Rica - Sep 05, 2012
- 5.8 Magnitude Earthquake Rattles Virginia, Washington, D.C. - Aug 24, 2011
- No reports of damage after powerful quake strikes the Gulf of California - Oct 22, 2010
Tags: aftershock, california earthquake, department representatives, downey, fire department, pacific ring of fire, power outage, preliminary investigation, quake, quakes, ranjan, ring of fire, road stretch, San Andreas fault, san andreas fault line, us geological survey, vulnerability, wear and tear, wee hours, wrecked havoc