California Assembly Passes $20 Million Settlement Bill For Jaycee DugardJuly 2nd, 2010 - 7:47 pm ICT by GD
By Madhuri Dey
July 2, (THAINDIAN NEWS) On Thursday lawmakers of the state of California approved a $20 million payout from the state to the kidnap victim Jaycee Dugard under a settlement after it was found that the state failed to supervise properly sex offender Phillip Garrido who allegedly held Jaycee Dugard in his backyard for 18 years. The settlement was announced in a joint statement by the state Department of Justice and the family of Jaycee Dugard. The statement mentioned that the amount of $20 million will help now 30-year-old Jaycee Dugard and her two children from Phillip Garrido to reunite with their family and get the “services and treatments” that they need to recuperate from the ordeal.
The bill was passed by both the houses of the Legislature with overwhelming vote responses. While at the state Assembly the bill received an approval with 70-2 votes in its favor with seven members not voting, at the Senate it received 30-1 votes in its favor. The bill is due to be signed by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and a spokesman for the Governor has mentioned to media sources that the Governor plans to sing the bill.
Jaycee Dugard was kidnapped at the age of eleven from South Lake Tahoa. She was discovered in August last year in the backyard of Phillip Garrido’s Antioch compound. Jaycee Dugard and her family filed complaint against the California Department of Corrections in February where they accused the Department for its “various lapses” which had led the family to suffer “psychological, physical, and emotional injury”. Phillip Garrido a convicted and kidnapper and rapist was on parole for a decade during the period and held Jaycee Dugard as a virtual sex slave. The family had alleged that Jaycee could have been discovered earlier if the department had kept a track of Phillip Garrido.
- US sex slave awarded $20m settlement for 18 yrs in captivity - Jul 02, 2010
- The Californian State To Deliver An Imbursement Of $20 Million To The Kidnapped Victim, Jaycee Dugard - Jul 02, 2010
- Jaycee Dugard Memoir Is Going To Be Out Soon - Sep 28, 2010
- 18 years of captivity still haunts US woman - Aug 26, 2010
- Jaycee Duggard awarded $20 million settlement for her abduction - Jul 02, 2010
- Jaycee Dugard's home video to air on ABC on Friday - Mar 05, 2010
- Jaycee Dugard's kidnappers 'confess to 18 years of sex abuse' - Mar 02, 2011
- Daughter lost and found, after 18 years! - Aug 28, 2009
- Bone fragment found in backyard of Garrido's neighbor is likely human - Sep 09, 2009
- Life for Dugard: As if u r camping - Aug 28, 2009
- After 18 years as hostage, woman releases first video - Mar 06, 2010
- Police completes search of Garrido residence in relation to murders but find no result - Sep 02, 2009
- Jaycee Dugard reunited with family after 18 years - Aug 28, 2009
- Shocking pics show US Fritzl's filthy house - Sep 19, 2009
- Phillip Garrido fathered two children with abducted California girl - Aug 28, 2009
Tags: arnold schwarzenegger, california assembly, california department of corrections, department of corrections, dey, emotional injury, garrido, governor arnold schwarzenegger, jaycee dugard, kidnapper, lapses, madhuri, media sources, ordeal, overwhelming vote, rapist, settlement bill, sex offender, state assembly, virtual sex