Business jet crashes at airport in North Carolina, three feared killedMarch 16th, 2012 - 2:39 am ICT by BNO News
FRANKLIN, North Carolina (BNO NEWS) — A small business jet carrying three people crashed at an airport in western North Carolina on early Thursday afternoon, local and federal officials said. The conditions of those on board was not immediately known.
The accident happened at about 1:36 p.m. local time when a Cessna Citation 501 aircraft crashed in a corn field at the end of the runway at Macon County Airport, which is located about three miles (five kilometers) northwest of Franklin, causing a fire at the scene.
Kathleen Bergen, a spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), said the aircraft was carrying a total of three people and suffered ’substantial’ damage. Photos from the scene showed the entire aircraft was completely engulfed in flames, leaving only a small field of debris.
Franklin Fire & Rescue officials said the fire was quickly extinguished, but it was not immediately known if anyone survived. The Western Carolinas Region of the American Red Cross said its volunteers were responding to the airport. “Initial services to be provided are mental health along with canteen services,” a statement said.
According to flight records, the business jet was registered to an individual in Venice, but Bergen would not confirm specific details about the aircraft. “We are not confirming tail numbers until we know the conditions of the three persons on board,” Bergen said. “If they are fatalities, then we will wait until next of kin are notified before we confirm.”
Both the FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) will investigate the cause of the accident.
- Small plane crashes after take-off in South Dakota, killing 4 - Dec 10, 2011
- Five die in Los Angeles-area plane crash - Mar 17, 2011
- Two killed when small plane crashes in northern Arkansas - Sep 08, 2010
- Six feared dead after small plane crashes into the Arizona mountains - Nov 24, 2011
- Air India Dreamliner engine failure during pre-delivery test - Aug 02, 2012
- One dead in CHP plane crash near San Diego County-Imperial County border, CA - May 08, 2010
- Multiple fatalities after large plane crashes in Alaska - Aug 02, 2010
- Three killed in US plane crash - Jul 25, 2011
- Plane crashes during Reno air show; at least 2 dead, 62 injured - Sep 17, 2011
- Two die in Groveland, California small plane crash - Feb 20, 2010
- Large military plane crashes at California naval base, no fatalities - May 19, 2011
- Small plane crash near Lebanon, Kentucky airport kills one - Feb 24, 2010
- Small plane crashes in southern California, kills one - Jul 28, 2010
- Two men safely escape when small plane crashes south of Santa Fe, New Mexico - Aug 02, 2010
- Small plane carrying five people crashes in Lake Michigan - Jul 24, 2010
Tags: american red cross, canteen services, carolinas region, cessna citation 501, corn field, damage photos, federal aviation administration, flight records, franklin fire, franklin north carolina, initial services, jet crashes, kathleen bergen, macon county airport, national transportation safety, national transportation safety board, rescue officials, tail numbers, transportation safety board, western carolinas