Bus plunges into ravine in southwest China, killing 15March 13th, 2012 - 9:42 pm ICT by BNO News
CHENGDU, China (BNO NEWS) — Fifteen people were killed on early Tuesday afternoon when a bus plunged into a deep ravine in southwestern China, local police officials told state-run media. Several others were injured.
The accident happened at around 12:30 p.m. local time when the bus, which was carrying a total of 21 people, fell into a 100-meter (328-feet) deep ravine near the Zhegu Mountain in Ngawa Tibetan and Qiang Autonomous Prefecture, located in Sichuan province.
Police told the state-run Xinhua news agency that the bus had departed Chengdu and was on its way to Maerkang county in Sichuan when the accident occurred, killing fifteen of the people on board. Six people survived the accident and were taken to a local hospital for treatment.
The cause of the accident was not immediately known.
Roads in China are known to be among the most dangerous in the world with more than 70,000 fatalities in 2009 alone. Many accidents are the result of drivers violating traffic laws, bad road conditions and overloaded vehicles.
In late February, fifteen people were killed when a tourist bus plunged into a ravine along State Highway 207 in the county-level city of Gaoping, which is located in north China’s Shanxi province. Nineteen people were injured, eight of them seriously, according to the Chinese government.
- 26 missing after bus falls into China river (Lead) - Jul 18, 2010
- Fifteen killed when bus plunges into gorge in southwest China - Aug 07, 2010
- 27 missing after bus falls into China river - Jul 18, 2010
- 17 killed in China bus accident - Jun 20, 2012
- 16 killed, 21 injured in road accident in Tibet - Mar 15, 2011
- 15 killed in China accident - Aug 07, 2010
- 5 killed in China bus accident - Jun 30, 2012
- Four killed in China bus accidents - Jan 08, 2012
- 11 dead in China bus accident - Jan 29, 2011
- 42 killed, 24 injured in central Morocco bus accident - Sep 05, 2012
- Two Tibetans set themselves afire in China - Oct 08, 2011
- Indonesia: 14 dead, 40 injured in West Java bus accident - Feb 11, 2012
- 15 people killed in Philippines road accident - Jun 02, 2010
- 16 killed in China bus accident - Oct 02, 2011
- Two more Tibetan monks jailed in immolation case - Aug 31, 2011
Tags: accidents, bno, bus plunges, chengdu china, chinese government, deep ravine, early tuesday, local hospital, north china, police officials, prefecture, road conditions, shanxi province, sichuan province, southwest china, southwestern china, tourist bus, traffic laws, tuesday afternoon, xinhua news agency