Bus accident kills 14, injures 45 in southwestern UgandaSeptember 19th, 2012 - 10:28 pm ICT by BNO News
KYAZANGA, UGANDA (BNO NEWS) — At least fourteen people were killed Tuesday when a speeding passenger bus went off a road in southwestern Uganda and overturned several times before bursting into flames, police said on Wednesday. More than 40 other people were injured.
The accident occurred at around 2:30 a.m. local time on Tuesday on the Mbarara-Masaka road at Malongo, not far from the town of Kyazanga in Rwengo district and about 82 kilometers (51 miles) northeast of Mbarara. The bus was carrying around 60 people, although some reports said as many as 75 people were on board.
A spokesperson for the Uganda Police Force said the bus was speeding when the driver lost control of the vehicle while negotiating a corner, causing it to overturn several times before the bus caught fire. The bus belonged to the Horizon Bus Company and was driving a route from Kisoro to Kampala.
“Fourteen people have so far been confirmed dead,” the police spokesperson said, rejecting initial media reports that as many as 30 people had been killed in the accident. “Forty-five passengers were injured and rushed to hospitals of Lyantonde, Kyazanga Health Center 4 and Masaka hospital.”
Police said the victims of the accident were burnt beyond recognition and only some identification documents were recovered. Among those killed was the bus driver who was only identified as Mugisha. Two other victims were identified as Sabiti Enos and Victoria Motors sales executive Sekandi Peter.
Road accidents are common in Uganda and are often blamed on speeding, overloading, the poor mechanical condition of vehicles and corruption among police traffic officials who allow non-roadworthy vehicles to ply the highways. It is believed more than 2,800 people die on Ugandan roads every year, and that number has constantly increased since 1991.
- Bus accident in northern Pakistan kills 6, injures 23 - Jan 17, 2012
- Lucky escape for 25 kids in school bus accident (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- At least 21 killed in Zimbabwe bus accident - Apr 17, 2012
- 46 die in road accidents across 3 states (Roundup) - May 28, 2012
- 34 killed in Zambian road accident - Jul 28, 2011
- Seven killed in two Bengal accidents - Jun 17, 2012
- Passenger bus overturns in southeast Kenya, killing 12 - Apr 02, 2012
- Six killed, 45 wounded in bangladesh in road accidents - Jul 19, 2011
- 17 killed, several injured in Tamil Nadu bus accident - Dec 02, 2010
- Six killed in Gujarat accident - Jul 09, 2011
Tags: bus accident, bus company, bus driver, corruption, flames, health center, highways, kampala, kilometers, malongo, passenger bus, police force, police spokesperson, police traffic, poor mechanical condition, road accidents, several times, southwestern uganda, traffic officials, uganda police