British police arrest twelve terror suspectsDecember 20th, 2010 - 4:33 pm ICT by BNO News
LONDON (BNO NEWS) — British police on Monday arrested twelve terror suspects in what officials described as a large-scale, national counter terrorism operation.
West Midlands Police said the men, aged between 17 and 28, were arrested at various locations in Cardiff, Stoke-on-Trent, London, and Birmingham. They were detained under the Terrorism Act 2000 on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of an act of terrorism in the United Kingdom.
Eleven of the suspects were arrested at or near their home addresses at around 5 a.m. local time, while the twelfth suspect from Stoke-on-Trent was taken into custody at a domestic property in Birmingham.
“This is a large scale, pre-planned and intelligence-led operation involving several forces,” said Police Assistant Commissioner John Yates, who is the national lead for counter terrorism policing. “The operation is in its early stages so we are unable to go into detail at this time about the suspected offences.”
Yates said he believed it was necessary to arrest the suspects in order to ensure public safety, but did not say if there was evidence to indicate the group had been planning to carry out a terrorist attack in the near future.
- 12 arrested in major UK anti-terror swoop - Dec 20, 2010
- Five held in Britain on terror charges - Apr 24, 2012
- Plot to blow up UK Parliament unearthed - Dec 27, 2010
- Five held on terror charges in Britain (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- Indian origin man charged with Britain terror plot - Dec 27, 2010
- Four held in Britain on terrorism charges - Nov 15, 2011
- Six charged with terrorism offences in Britain - Sep 26, 2011
- Seven arrested in anti-terrorism raid in Britain - Sep 19, 2011
- UK Christmas terror attack plotters received training in Pakistan - Dec 23, 2010
- UK terror plot: Suspects of Bangladeshi origin, but born in Britain - Dec 21, 2010
- Seven more held in Britain for terror offences - Jul 06, 2012
- UK peer tells lawmakers that significant terror plot foiled by 12 arrests - Dec 22, 2010
- Four Britons charged with terrorism offences - Nov 19, 2011
- UK police arrest five terror suspects near London - Apr 24, 2012
- Marathon runner claimed $72,000 as 'disability' benefits! - Oct 18, 2011
Tags: assistant commissioner, bno, british police, cardiff, commissioner john, counter terrorism, instigation, intelligence, john yates, local time, london, national lead, police arrest, police assistant, public safety, suspicion, terror, terrorism act 2000, terrorist attack, west midlands police