British DJ Sacked After He Refers To Queen’s Speech As ‘Boring’January 4th, 2010 - 8:04 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Jan 4, (THAINDIAN NEWS) British radio presenter, Tom Binns lost his job after he interrupted Queen Elizabeth II while she was delivering the traditional Christmas Day speech. Moreover, the radio presenter, who worked at the Birmingham radio station BRMB, sparked a controversy as he described the monarch’s speech as ‘boring’.
Sources reveal that the radio presenter was sacked by the radio station as a large number of listeners complained about the incident. Following the incident, Orion Media Group, which owns the radio station added that the remarks made by Tom Binns was indeed objectionable and emphasized that the radio station do not in any way agree with what the DJ said.
While explaining the circumstances that led to the incident, Tom Binns added that the incident took place on Christmas Day when the Queen started delivering the traditional speech while he was expecting a news bulletin. As he had never heard the speech earlier he decided to cut the Queen when she was half way through, as he had no idea how long it would go on. Moreover, the DJ went on to make a joke and told the listeners on air that the speech was boring. The radio presenter then played the song “Last Christmas” by pop group Wham while he added “from one Queen to another”.
Meanwhile, the radio presenter defended his actions and reportedly added that nobody was interested in listening to the speech as they had much better stuffs to do on Christmas Day. However, the incident surely managed to put the radio station in an embarrassing situation as the Queen’s traditional speech during Christmas is supposedly listened by millions.
- British radio DJ fired for calling Queen's speech 'boring' - Dec 30, 2009
- DJ sacked after saying that the Queen's speech is boring - Jan 04, 2010
- Chris Moyles bids farewell to his radio show - Sep 15, 2012
- Carey's track becomes 'Most-Played Xmas Song Of The Past Decade' - Dec 02, 2010
- Queen Elizabeth's Christmas message to focus on family - Dec 25, 2011
- Rush Limbaugh 'Resting Comfortably' In Honolulu Hospital - Dec 31, 2009
- Queen found 'The King's Speech' 'moving and enjoyable' - Feb 04, 2011
- Secrets of the Queen Mother's record collection revealed - Mar 14, 2011
- 103 Jamz Radio Host Lawrence "Cool DJ Law" Brown Dies Aged 40 - Sep 20, 2010
- BBC apologises over 'Queen Elizabeth is dead' joke - May 18, 2010
- Private FM channels to be allowed to broadcast news - Mar 29, 2011
- DJ Plays 'Jump' As Woman Attempts To Commit Suicide - Jan 19, 2010
- Can't act against Ramdev for Chhattisgarh speech: Delhi Police - Jun 22, 2012
- BBC 'lowering its standards to hire more ethnic minorities' - Feb 14, 2011
- Frisky Radio Celebrates Electronic Music From India - Jun 07, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,