Boston bans SegwaysJune 24th, 2011 - 8:31 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Boston, June 24 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Officials in Boston plan to ban Segways from the city’s sidewalks. The Boston Herald says a bus tour has decided to sue the city officials for the ban.
The co-founder of Boston Gliders, Allan Danley, told the newspaper that “The Segways must remain on the sidewalk.” Allan told the newspaper that the association has sued the City Council for the action that he wants to take regarding the ban.
Lawmakers in the city defend their action saying the Segways posses threat to pedestrians who walk on the sidewalks. Councilor Sal LaMattina defended the City Council saying Boston was designed with the walking pedestrians in mind.
The new bill which is waiting for the signature of the city’s mayor to become a law prohibits vehicles from traveling on the Segways. The route is mostly used by tour vehicles and the bill stipulates that companies should be licensed to use them. They will also have to maintain the mandated 8-mph limit when they travel on the route.
Tour businesses and other users of the route say they will be driven out of business if the bill is signed to law.
The suit was filed at a federal court in Boston and it is urging the court to prevent the city officials from implementing the law.
- Gliding on a Segway down India's grandest boulevard (With Images) - Jul 01, 2012
- Woman sues Google for 'misleading' her on Google Maps! - Jun 01, 2010
- Shimla a pedestrian city, says court - Jan 07, 2012
- Robin Williams pulled over for biking - Apr 20, 2011
- Cat Ordered to do Jury Service in Boston - Jan 19, 2011
- Cat called for jury duty - Jan 10, 2010
- Mexico City mulls bullfighting ban - Mar 24, 2012
- Nine killed as mentally ill man hijacks Pune bus (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Should iPods, phones be banned for pedestrians crossing roads? - Jan 31, 2011
- Abu Dhabi to have separate paths for cycling - May 01, 2011
- Brooklyn Bridge briefly closed after 'suspicious item' found - Oct 15, 2010
- New system removes pedestrians from Google Street View scenes - Aug 06, 2010
- Court summons Shimla officials on illegal parking - Jan 11, 2012
- New York City Council bans smoking in parks, beaches, Times Square - Feb 03, 2011
- Lungs discovered on Los Angeles' sidewalk - Jun 13, 2012
Tags: boston herald, boston plan, bus tour, city officials, co founder, danley, gliders, june 24, lamattina, lawmakers, pedestrians, segways, sidewalk, sidewalks, signature, tour businesses, tour vehicles