Bombs rock central Lahore in latest terror attackMay 27th, 2009 - 12:59 pm ICT by John Le Fevre
At least 12 people have been confirmed killed and 150 more injured in a mid-morning series of terrorist bomb blasts in central Lahore.
Rescue and security personnel who rushed to the scene came under fire from unidentified gunmen hiding inside the Lahore Capital City Police Office (CCPO) building, itself a target of the blasts.
The blasts, the second Mumbai-style attack in Lahore in less than a month, took place only 200 meters from the Punjab Assembly and close to nearby schools.
Among government offices damaged and/or destroyed in the explosion was the Lahore Inter Services Intelligence (ISI) office, the Lahore Capital City Police Office (CCPO), and the building housing the country’s Rescue 1121 service.
Emergency service personnel reported more than 60 patients were transported to one nearby hospital, with the Pakistan Military providing cover for those searching the rubble for survivors from snipers holed up in the CPPO building.
All available medical staff in Lahore have been recalled to serve at nearby hospitals to handle the wave of casualties.
Emergency service personnel believe up to hundreds may be trapped under the debris of collapsed buildings.
The Pakistan government has been involved in fierce fighting over the last couple of weeks against Taliban fighters in the Swat Valley.
This is a breaking news story. Check back for updates
- Suicide bomb targets Pakistan security forces in Lahore - Update - May 27, 2009
- 20 killed in blast outside Pakistan police station (Second Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Emergency decree, three arrested following Lahore terrorist suicide bombing - May 27, 2009
- 15 killed in suicide blasts targeting Shiites in Lahore, Karachi (Third Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- 13 dead, 50 hurt in Pakistan suicide blast (Second Lead) - Mar 08, 2011
- 45 dead, over 100 injured in Peshawar explosion - Oct 28, 2009
- Pakistan suicide blast kills four policemen - Apr 28, 2010
- Several trapped as factory building collapses in Jalandhar (Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Seven killed in Pakistan blast (Lead) - Mar 08, 2011
- Building collapses in Bangalore, 5 dead - Feb 02, 2011
- 24 killed, 90 injured in Delhi house collapse (Third Lead) - Nov 16, 2010
- 14 injured in Peshawar blast - May 25, 2011
- Nine trapped in China building collapse - Jun 20, 2011
- High intensity blast hits Karachi, casualties feared (Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
- Jalandhar factory collapse: one dead, several trapped (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: bomb blasts, city police, collapsed buildings, cppo, fierce fighting, inter services, mid morning, nearby hospital, nearby hospitals, nearby schools, pakistan government, police office, service emergency, style attack, swat valley, taliban fighters, target, terror attack, terrorist bomb, unidentified gunmen